Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Exegesis of Marcianopolis reverse  (Read 862 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Exegesis of Marcianopolis reverse
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:56:19 am »
The obverse die is like nos. 11-14 on my "Singular" page:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/singularmarcdies.html
The pair of broad  :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Pi: are easy to spot.  The reverse ought to be one of those Apollo or Bonus Eventus figures, with a patera.  He has that stance and attitude.  But there is also corrosion in a sort of a pattern, and some have seen a bow and other things (such as a beard, which would rule out Apollo, let alone Bonus Eventus).  But Hr&J Marcianopolis 6.24.7.3 has been suggested for comparison.
We noted recombinations of obverse and reverse dies already, so a double die match is not needed.   
Opinions please!  Pat L.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Exegesis of Marcianopolis reverse
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 03:44:48 am »
Hi Pat,

I think it could be Apollo leaning on tripod holding patera (maybe not over an altar) similar to this one? (though the angle of the arm doesn't look 100% right for that) - Interesting obverse die though - not that much difference between the depictions of the two rulers. 

Sometimes corrosion can produce patterns that arn't really there, especially if the reverse was a bit of a weak strike and there wasn't much there to corrupt in the first place.  I suspect this will only be resolved when a better preserved coin comes to light.

Malcolm

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 04:44:51 am »
The obverse die is like nos. 11-14 on my "Singular" page:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/singularmarcdies.html
The pair of broad  :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Pi: are easy to spot.  The reverse ought to be one of those Apollo or Bonus Eventus figures, with a patera.  He has that stance and attitude.  But there is also corrosion in a sort of a pattern, and some have seen a bow and other things (such as a beard, which would rule out Apollo, let alone Bonus Eventus).  But Hr&J Marcianopolis 6.24.7.3 has been suggested for comparison.
We noted recombinations of obverse and reverse dies already, so a double die match is not needed.   
Opinions please!  Pat L.

Dear Pat L.,

For what it is worth, there are interesting similarities between the reverse devices portrayed on these two specimens from Marcianopolis (your coin above and my coin: Macrinus and Diadumenian, AMNG 750, 217-218 AD, 12.4 g, 27.25 mm; Moesia Inferior Marcianopolis; aVF; Obverse: Busts of Macrinus and Diadumenian facing each other; Reverse: Hygeia standing left, with snake coiled on staff).

While one figure leans, the other becomes a fold of cloth. Both figures face left and their legs have the same pose.  They both reach with their right hands toward specimen specific objects.  Their similarities make me wonder if the die cutters are not working synoptically (if that is the correct term).

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:53:36 am »
Jim, I think you mean Asklepios, not Hygieia...

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity