Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another odd solidus from Serdiko  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Another odd solidus from Serdiko
« on: January 19, 2007, 10:10:33 pm »
This Sirmium solidus of Honorius has the same odd characteristics as my previous post of Serdiko's Arcadius solidus from Thessalonica: soft matte surfaces, odd style, and an exact die identity from a recent European auction (in this casr Dr Busso Peus Nachfolger auction 371 lot 524 (24 April 2002)) with twinned surface flaws (not die flaws).  Coincidence?  I illustrate both below so that you can judge for yourself.

Both of these are unlike other Sirmium solidi of Honorius, Arcadius, and Theodosius that I can find on CoinArchives.com in both the obverse and reverse designs.  Note particularly the 'dancing' figure of the emperor on the reverse: his right foot isn't even touching the ground, it's resting the the barbarian's leg!  (Serdiko posted his photo on an angle so the emperor is standing straight, not falling over backwards; I have levelled the exergual line).  Note the flan flaw on the lower left of the reverse along VICT and the flaws on the other side along the CCC.  The major difference , of course, is the fact that the Peus coin has no shoulders at all on either obv or rev.  This is very odd.  It, of course, may be legit.

Any thoughts?  Compare this with the earlier coin noted in an earlier thread.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity