Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ushabti ID  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Ushabti ID
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »
I know nothing of Egyptian antiquities.  I bought this when I first started collecting back around 2005, and it has remained unidentified.  It was bought from a fairly reputable dealer.

Can anyone give me a date range and proper ID?  I believe the dealer thought it was c. 1500 BC.

It seems crude compared to most I've seen.  It's about 2 inches tall.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: Ushabti ID
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:02 am »
Hi Molinari,
     Some of the very early shabti, the wooden ones, are very crude. Beneath the glaze one can see a reddish brown composition (ware) which is usually seen from the Third Intermediate Period to Roman Times. More often than not, the color of the glaze, the hue, is very important. Online, with non calibrated monitors, this becomes a nightmare. If yours is ancient (50-50), it probably dates to the Late Period or down to Roman times. If you were an ancient Egyptian and wanted one shabti for each day of the year plus one overseer shabti for every 10 workers, this is what you could afford without breaking your bank.
     Sorry for the vague generalities.
     I had a friend, the late Richard Molinari; he was related to Guy and Susan Molinari of Staten Island, NY. Might you be a relative?

Russ

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44:18 am »
Hi Molinari,
     Some of the very early shabti, the wooden ones, are very crude. Beneath the glaze one can see a reddish brown composition (ware) which is usually seen from the Third Intermediate Period to Roman Times. More often than not, the color of the glaze, the hue, is very important. Online, with non calibrated monitors, this becomes a nightmare. If yours is ancient (50-50), it probably dates to the Late Period or down to Roman times. If you were an ancient Egyptian and wanted one shabti for each day of the year plus one overseer shabti for every 10 workers, this is what you could afford without breaking your bank.
     Sorry for the vague generalities.
     I had a friend, the late Richard Molinari; he was related to Guy and Susan Molinari of Staten Island, NY. Might you be a relative?

Russ

Thanks for the info, Russ!  I was hoping you would reply.  I didn't realize the custom lasted into Roman times.

I believe I am very distantly related to Guy and Susan (I remember my father telling me that) but I'm not sure exactly how. 

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »
Hi Molinari,
     Small world!
     Yes, in ancient Egypt customs took a long time to die. Even some Christians were mummified.
Russ

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity