Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander Denarius  (Read 595 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Severus Alexander Denarius
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:27:17 pm »
Hi there everyone! What are your thoughts on this denarius of severus alexander? It's the style of the portrait that has me wondering as I've never seen one like this. It almost seems like an "aged" portrait kind of how I'd imagine him look if he'd lived longer! Regards

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Re: Severus Alexander Denarius
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:23:41 am »
No one have any thoughts as to the authenticity of this coin then? It arrived today with another coin that I bought and in hand they both seem to be cast fakes to me but I'm no expert I've posted a pic of the other coin too if anyone can give me their opinion! I'm going to london for a few days with the missus tomorow so I'll probably pay a visit the british museum's coin department see if anyone there has any ideas! Regards Adrian

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Re: Severus Alexander Denarius
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:49 am »
Could be a "good" cast.  Need the coin in hand to tell though.  Look for flow lines with a magnifying glass
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity