Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous follis B imitation?  (Read 83 times)

Offline DagonX

• Praetorian
Anonymous follis B imitation?
« on: March 08, 2024, 12:35:02 pm »
Hello!

Is it a anonymous follis B imitation or just a regular one that has been extensively cut down?

Diameter: ~19,3-24,7 mm
Weight: 5,58 g

Thanks for help!

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Anonymous follis B imitation?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 11:33:05 pm »
I would say a class b that's been about cut in half!

CW

Offline DagonX

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 02:53:53 am »
I would say a class b that's been about cut in half!

That was my first thought, but my suspicions were aroused when I looked at the ornaments in the nimbus. I've never seen round shapes, they're usually squares or dots.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 11:05:51 pm »

yes I have seen mostly squares in the nimbus of the Class B series, interestingly the wild wind site has a SB 1823/class B wwith a nimbus pattern similar to yours

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/i.html

Offline DagonX

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 02:00:15 pm »
Yup, looks similar, thanks a lot! :)

Also, I've found an old thread on another forum where suggested that cutting like that might be connected with Alexius reform and older follis was dropped to weight around 5 g, just like the new tetarteron coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity