Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: undated coin question  (Read 1703 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
undated coin question
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:00:53 pm »
I recently received this Titus denarius with the Bonus Eventus reverse. The BMCRE has it listed as undated. Looking at the legend and the style it looks very similar to another Titus denarius with the elephant reverse I have that is dated to 80 A.D.

Both coins also have a dot at the end of the obverse legend. I have also noticed a few of the pulvinar series denarii that also have a dot at the end of their obverse legends and they date to 80 A.D. as well.

Could it be that the Bonus Eventus coins date to 80? I would place them along with the elephant reverse types as one of the last series before the mint was burned down in the fire of 80 A.D. when the mint ceased production for Titus.

I'm not sure what the dot at the end of the legends mean. I have only come across them on  just a few denarii of Titus. Does anyone know?

Here's the coin:

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: undated coin question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:05:55 pm »
And here is the the Elephant reverse that looks similar in style:

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:03:33 pm »
David,
       As you know, most of the aurei and denarii of Titus as Augustus were dated to either 79 or 80 by his tribunician, imperatorial, and consular numbers.
       There are only three exceptions:
first and second, the rare ANNONA AVG and CERES AVGVST types, struck for him as Caesar in 78 but then apparently briefly revived after Vespasian's death during the first week or so of Titus' reign, with legend IMP T CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG;
third, the BONVS EVENTVS AVGVSTI type, with Titus' main obv. legend IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M.
       I think the BONVS EVENTVS AVGVSTI type belongs to 79 not 80, because I noticed an obv. die identity between this type and a dated denarius of 79 in the Vienna collection
      The type also about matches those of 79 in volume, about seven spec. each in the Reka Devnia hoard, whereas most of the types of 80 are considerably commoner, five of them having between 27 and 47 coins in the hoard, though the sixth type had only nine specimens.
       I believe that the dots that occasionally occur at the end of the obv. legend on coins of Titus were merely space-fillers, used when the legend didn't reach quite to the end of the space allotted for it.
      The engraver's guide circle is still clearly visible on the rev. of your new coin, as sometimes happens.
Yours,
Curtis
Curtis Clay

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:56:25 pm »
Thank you for the insight Curtis.

I was wondering if there was a Bonus Eventus die match with a dateable coin that might date the type a little more precisely. 79 it is!

Hopefully the new RIC IIa will have that date narrowed down.

I guess the dots couldn't be the mark of a officina of the mint then?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 12:56:39 am »
I am currently reading, and suggesting additions and corrections to, the draft of the new RIC IIa, and will try to get Ian Carradice and Ted Buttrey to date the BEA type to 79, if they haven't done so already!
I'm sure the dots are not officina marks.
Curtis Clay

Offline Goodies

• Consul
  • Coins are like old newspapers.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 06:14:31 pm »
hi Vespasian70,

I found another two similar portraits and lettering, that is another elephant..

.. and the below one, I'm not sure that's relevant..

Source for these two coins was: CoinArchives - search Titus AND (this obverse lettering)

:)
Lex

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 07:09:46 pm »
Hello Lex!

Both examples you posted are relevant and illustrate what Curtis was stating.

The elephant reverse portrait looks very similar to the Bonus Eventus portrait on my coin and it has no dot.

The Venus reverse dates from 79 and has a dot.

My original idea was to group all the coins with a portrait style and a dot similar to my Bonus Eventus coin to one issue...clearly that is not the case! 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity