Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus???  (Read 1732 times)

Nobody

Septimius Severus???
« on: September 30, 2004, 03:08:07 pm »
Hy,

I can't identify this coin, pleas help meeeeeee ;)

size: 19 mm
weight: 4,5 gr

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Septimius Severus???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 06:40:01 pm »
    Yes, clearly Sept. Severus.  
    Rev. shows Dionysus, emptying cup to panther seated at his feet, and probably holding thyrsus in lowered l. hand.
     Only WN of the ethnic survives, but the size and spacing of the letters show that it was a short word, probably no more than seven letters.    
      If the coin was found in Bulgaria, Serdica would be a likely candidate, with ethnic [CEP--D]WN.  
      The coin would then be a variant of Ruzicka, Die Muenzen von Serdica, no. 48, also an AE 19 of Sept. Sev., but with a variant type of Dionysus (no panther, l. hand holding thyrsus is raised), and the longer ethnic OVLPIAC CEPDIKHC.
      The only way to finalize the attribution would be to find another specimen of the same coin with legible ethnic, or a coin with a different reverse type with legible ethnic but struck from the same obv. die.
Curtis Clay

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:55:59 pm »
Curtis, sincerely not meaning any offence, your analysis of this specimen is exactly what I would expect from one who had any claim to the pursuit of " forensic numismatics"!
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 10:10:30 pm »
Dear Whitetd49,
       Thanks for the compliment (?).
       I wouldn't say there is anything "forensic" about my analysis, however.  It's simply a logical guess based on the evidence available; and could easily be proved to be wrong by a better specimen!
Regards,
Curtis Clay
Curtis Clay

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 10:17:05 pm »
Dear Whitetd49,
       Thanks for the compliment (?).
       I wouldn't say there is anything "forensic" about my analysis, however.  It's simply a logical guess based on the evidence available; and could easily be proved to be wrong by a better specimen!
Regards,
Curtis Clay
Curtis, it was indeed a compliment!  The sentence "It's simply a logical guess based on the evidence available; and could easily be proved to be wrong by a better specimen!" is the exact definition of forensics!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 10:37:44 pm »
Heck, that's not what Alan and Art seem to think!
Would anyone care to inform them?
Curtis Clay

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 08:23:34 am »
They have been informed ad nauseum.  I despair that they will never understand that you form your hypotheses on available evidence and test them by falsification and not advocating why everyone else is wrong.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity