Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Instructive Alexander (and a big Thank You to FORUM!)  (Read 876 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
An Instructive Alexander (and a big Thank You to FORUM!)
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:20:12 pm »
Yesterday I stumbled across a coin on Ebay UK that was being sold by somebody who does obviously not regularly sell coins. It was nothing less than an Alexander tetradrachm with left-facing head on the obv., so I naturally watched it, although it was rather worn, especially on the reverse. As the end of the auction drew closer, I looked it up in Price, found it - no problem, no. 213 - and then decided to browse through all eighteen pages of FORUM's Fake Reports for "Alexander".

BINGO!

Now you see how deceptive even a fake that's quite obvious in mint state can become when it's somewhat convincingly aged. Compare the picture from the Ebay auction with the one from the Fake reports. After I had found this, I looked further and enlarged the reverse picture - and there it was, at least the "Y" of the "COPY" punch is still visible (see red arrow)! Luckily, the buyer only paid eight point something pounds for the coin, so to most collectors it must have been a more obvious fake than it was for me. The buyer probably opens a bottle of champagne tonight, thinking he made the bargain of the year... :-\

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Nico

Re: An Instructive Alexander (and a big Thank You to FORUM!)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:08:17 pm »
Did it sell high?

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:12:34 pm »
No, £8.69, actually. It puzzles me that everybody except for me seems to have found out quite easily that this one is fake. If I hadn't found it out (and it was close!), I would have bid at least £50.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:22:08 pm »
More likely, the other collectors who would have recognized the rarity and might have bid on the coin for their collections simply hadn't found the auction

I doubt that many of them had found the auction, recognized the rarity, but then not bid because they knew the coin was fake!
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:32:39 pm »
The best way to thank FORVM is to browse the catalog and auctions.  You may not always find a coin you want to buy, but please take a look now and then.  (This isn't directed at Rupert, it is just a general advertisement.) :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity