Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The sella castrensis on Caligula's ADLOCVT COH Sestertius- A Real One!  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
I often not only look for coins, but also 1 st century military equipment or ancient furniture and implements on coin reverse from the Julio Claudian period.  I love this rare  sella castrensis that was on the art market a few years back, and noticed the sella castrensis on one of my favorite issues.  Here is the coin and the sella castrensis.

Gaius (Caligula). AD 37-41. Æ Sestertius (27.99 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck AD 37-38. C•CAESARAVGGERMANICVS•PON•M•TR•POT, laureate head left / ADLOCVT above, COH in exergue, Gaius, bareheaded and togate, standing left on daïs, extending right hand in gesture of address; behind him a sella castrensis (chair); in front of him stand five soldiers right, all helmeted, holding shields, and parazonia; four aquilae behind them. RIC I 32; BMCRE 33-35; BN 45-46; Cohen 1.

A sella castrensis from the private art trade:  

ROMAN IRON CAMPAIGN FOLDING STOOL (SELLA CASTRENSIS)

Literally stool for the camp, was esentially reserved for commanders in the field.

Ex German collection.

1st-3rd Cenutry AD

H. 16 7/8 in. (43 cm.)

Releif from stone with curule chair/sella castrensis-  last photo.

Joe Geranio
JCIA
CCAESAR

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: The sella castrensis on Caligula's ADLOCVT COH Sestertius- A Real One!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »
It almost looks too nice to be real.  Wow!  That's neat!

The commanders must not have weighed too much.  I wonder what Vitellius used?

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Re: The sella castrensis on Caligula's ADLOCVT COH Sestertius- A Real One!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »

this coin is the stuff of dreams never in my life will i own such a beautiful coin so to have a peek at this one is an honour thankyou for sharing  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity