Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vessel Applique, Mask of Silenus, ca.1st-2nd Cent. AD  (Read 66 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Vessel Applique, Mask of Silenus, ca.1st-2nd Cent. AD
« on: February 01, 2024, 03:06:10 pm »
Ave!

Copper Alloy; 11CM / 0.40KG or 4 1/4 inches / 14 ounces

Mask of Silenus, featuring his typical bald pate, bulging almond-shaped eyes set back below his furrowed, overhanging brow, horses ears, snub nose and rounded cheek bones, his beard and mustache formed of thick radiating wavy locks. Most likely from a wine-mixing bowl, the top is hand engraved and curled to have snugly fit about the rim. The reverse cast to match the curvature of the bowls side.

If my wine-mixing bowl surmise is correct, the bowl itself had to have been truly enormous, and very heavy, just to support this one applique alone but, more than likely, there may have been a quartet of them?

The first photo is "as arrived", the other two after my lame attempt of restoration. Any thoughts as to whom may have owned such a valuable artifact?

Best regards to all,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Vessel Applique, Mask of Silenus, ca.1st-2nd Cent. AD
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 04:23:10 pm »
Your identification is undoubtedly correct - with the caveat that I couldn't tell a late Greek era one from a Roman era one.

As to who would have such a large vessel - noble's estate, rich merchant, even a military unit.  Heck maybe even a tavern for all I know.

I understand that these vessels were often very large as they were for mixing the wine, sometimes with up to 10x the amount of water, so they would have to be large.

Nice piece.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Vessel Applique, Mask of Silenus, ca.1st-2nd Cent. AD
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 12:17:13 pm »
Ave Shawn,

Thanks for your wine bowl affirmation!