Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: N?  (Read 1797 times)

BAUGNIET

N?
« on: January 24, 2005, 09:11:59 am »
Here a part which gives me difficulties of identification.
The face corresponds to a type known for the legend and the portrait. The type known for the legend is a portrait of child whereas here it acts rather of an effigy augustéenne.
The other side shows the sacerdotal instruments which correspond to the legend.
However, this face is for another part whose bust is reversed with another legend.
Either it acts of a part of an unknown type or an error of corner or quite simply a forgery!
Who could help me?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re:N?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 10:51:42 am »
Hi Baugniet!

Your coin is not listed in RIC nor in BMCR. There is only an Denarius with your rev. legend, rev. depiction and obv. legend, but different obv. depiction (bust of Nero to left!).

Wether your coin is real or fake, I can't say!

Regards

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 02:06:38 pm »
Sorry, but I do not see what metal and denomination it is. There are dupondii, aurei and denarii of this type. I presume it's a denarius. However, obv. and rev. do not match. To this obv. would belong the rev. EQUESTER ORDO PRINCIPI IUVENT. From the picture, I think you probably have a fourrée denarius (with the copper core showing through in places; this coin was minted under Claudius, and a great percentage of his denarii are fourrés). So if it's denarius size and dark, oxydized silver, I'd say it's a hybrid plated coin, which is not that rare, although this is an especially pleasant specimen!
Hope this helps,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 02:18:30 pm »
    Unfortunately a specimen from the same dies as yours is illustrated as a modern forgery by von Kaenel, Coinage of Claudius, pl. 17, 1256 = BMC I, Claudius no. 89, pl. 33.8.
    Maybe vK's classification is wrong, however; BM acquired the coin in 1890 and the Catalogue considers it a fourree, probably ancient.
Curtis Clay

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 02:28:31 pm »
I've never so far heard of modern fakes imitating ancient fourrées. The corrosion on the bronze spots looks rather convincing, I would have thought.

Rupert

BAUGNIET

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 02:57:25 pm »
Thanks to RUPPERT and CURTISLCLAY for their information.
This detail seems to be bronze dark and not silver, the center of the figure and a little eaten away and could effectively correspond to filled Dénarius.
I would like to ask CURTISLCLAY that he gives me more references onto the named Von KAENEL and his illustrations. It would be possible to see these illustrations on Internet, if yes, please send to me the exact address. I am still a novice in numismatics and I do not know all the references.
To your opinion, that she could be the value of this detail?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 10:50:51 am »
Neither v. Kaenel's 1986 monograph on Claudius, nor the Brit. Mus. cat. of Roman Imp. coins are available on the internet.  You have to buy or borrow the books, which are still under copyright.
I don't understand your final question.  Please repeat en francais!
Curtis Clay

BAUGNIET

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 03:20:35 pm »
To CURTISCLAY,

Bonsoir,
Merci beaucoup pour vos informations.
Ma question était : " Qu'elle serait la valeur de cette pièce ?"
Je vous confirme qu'elle n'est pas en argent. Elle semble être en bronze ou un autre alliage du même genre.

Good evening,
 Thank you very much for your information.
My question was: "That it would be the value of this part?"
I assure you that it is not out of silver.
It seems to be out of bronze or another alloy of the same kind.
Cordialy
Raymond BAUGNIET

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 03:41:04 pm »
Correct translation of your question:  "What would be the approximate value of this piece?"
I would say around $150, assuming it is ancient not modern.
Curtis Clay

bakkar

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 04:03:33 pm »
I dont like to dissappoint you Baugniet, but It looks a modern cast forgery.
Bakkar

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 04:15:03 pm »
I think the letters are too sharp to look cast.
I still think the coin is an ancient hybrid fourrée denarius with a sheet of base silver and the copper core showing through on the head of Nero, the kettle of the tripod and the rim of the simpulum.

Rupert

BAUGNIET

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 04:30:39 pm »
Thank you with you all!
I make a point of specifying that this coin is not recent as seems to say it BAKKAR. I think of being able to say like RUPPERT; this currency is certainly filled Denarius of time. Thank you also for the estimate; I avias myself thought that it could be worth at least between 200 and 300 euros.
Friendships with all  :D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity