Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Additions!  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
New Additions!
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »
Hello friends,

I've added a few new coins in the Roman Republic collection recently (as well as in other areas) and I've also been working on updating pictures and descriptions.  So I thought I'd invite you all to take a look.  I've added a few preview pieces to this post but many more await.

Best regards,
Matt

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=28100

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: New Additions!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:53 am »
very nice collection I like the Pegasus stater, though worn it has a wonderful sense of style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3538&pos=1

is the boar part of the original coin or a bankers mark?

cw

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:39 am »
an excellent collection SPQR, and i especially like your impressive Republican gallery.
you have put together an interesting grouping of artistic styles without the ubiquitous Roma/quadriga types. very nice!

~ Peter

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
very nice collection I like the Pegasus stater, though worn it has a wonderful sense of style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3538&pos=1

is the boar part of the original coin or a bankers mark?

cw

Thanks to both Wileyc and Enodia for your kind words.

As for the boar on the obverse of the stater, it is a part of the original coin.  Staters of the period had many different objects in the field.  I'm not exactly sure what purpose it served being there.  If I had to guess I would say they were used as a control mark of some kind.  But that is just a guess.

Best regards,
Matt
(formerly SPQR Coins)

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:41:22 pm »
i like the new name.   8) 

~ Peter

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:18 pm »
Super collection with excellent photography, Matt - first class presentation all round. It takes alot of expertise to collect from such a variety of eras, well done and keep it up!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity