Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Apparently a new Nikopolis Tyche reverse die for Macrinus  (Read 705 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Apparently a new Nikopolis Tyche reverse die for Macrinus
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:49:29 pm »

Nikopolis ad Istrum in Moesia Inferior, Macrinus, under legate Statius Longinus,
4 Assaria / Æ 27 (26-27 mm / 13,85 g),
Obv.: AVT K M OΠЄΛΛI CEV - MAKPEINOC , laureate, cuirassed bust of Macrinus right, seen from behind, with a bit of drapery right.
Rev.: VΠ CTA ΛONΓ INOV - NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPO / C ICT , Tyche, wearing kalathos, standing left with rudder and cornucopiae.
Pick (AMNG I, 1) 455, 1780 var. (3 pieces listed) .
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/longinusdies.html obverse MBe / apparently a so far unknown Tyche reverse die.

:angel:

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Apparently a new Nikopolis Tyche reverse die for Macrinus
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:23:26 pm »
The reverse does seem to match HrJ Nicopolis, 2009, 8.23.38.3; the legend and its breaks match, and making a little allowance for strike and preservation so does the figure of Tyche.  I think the obverse matches, too.  None of the Tychai that I had matches this one.
Pat

All coins are guaranteed for eternity