Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM-horn silver remnants ?  (Read 119 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM-horn silver remnants ?
« on: January 18, 2024, 11:32:27 pm »

Hello all: I have no doubt about the genuineness of this coin, but I do wonder are the scattered deposits, more so on the reverse, the remnants of horn silver after a cleaning ? You can see in the photo (and better in hand) that there appears to have been a layer of this material covering all or most of the coin—especially where the edge rolls over onto the surface about 7:00 on the reverse.  Thanks in advance.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM-horn silver remnants ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 11:57:12 pm »
Hi Ken.  I am certainly no expert, but my experience has been that horn silver is very destructive to the surfaces of the coin.  Yours look pretty good, from the photo at least, so I am thinking it must be something else?  Interested to hear what anyone else thinks, also.

Regards, Jimi

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 08:15:08 am »

Thanks v-drome. Here are some photos of the edge around 6:00. You can see the deposited material is more of a layer on the edge and appears to have been cleaned from the surface, but some scattered deposits remain. If not horn silver, perhaps remnants from a cleaning method, maybe the old foil and lemon juice method (although that is a pretty thick layer)?

For completeness—18.97 mm. 3.51 gr. Both obv. and rev. matches in Schaefer’s die study. 

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 10:32:38 am »
OK, yes, that looks more like what I would expect to see from the horn silver.  Still a very nice coin with solid obverse and reverse.  Great addition to your gallery!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 04:25:53 pm »
I would leave that coin as is.  you could likely remove some of the AgCl deposit (horn silver) using a solution of sodium thiosulphate, but it would also remove the nice black tarnishing.  The coin is worn enough that it will look REALLY worn and washed out without that contrast. 
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 11:38:20 pm »
Hey Ron.  Agreed. Will leave as is to maintain that contrast. Just wanted to be sure those remaining deposits are or are the remnants of horn silver. Hope you are well.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity