Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Phocas, Antioch, RY=1, can't find similar  (Read 298 times)

Offline Mateusz W

• Caesar
Phocas, Antioch, RY=1, can't find similar
« on: December 05, 2023, 05:23:32 pm »
Is this a legit issue from Antioch or maybe so called "byzantine provincial" similar to RY=2, like in this case?

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=157748

On top of that the legend is also not proper i think  dN FOCAE PERP AVG that's what i read and i don't see that many blundered legends under Phocas

Offline wegm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
    • History & Numismatics
Re: Phocas, Antioch, RY=1, can't find similar
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 12:20:05 pm »
I think you got lucky and have a provisional mint type.  Not sure how else to explain it. Lovely coin.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Re: Phocas, Antioch, RY=1, can't find similar
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 03:17:52 am »
This was an unofficial coinage in the early years after the Perian invasion in Syria in the early 7th century. Folles, with Phocas as a consul (Sear 672), but bearing the years of reign I and II, were known earlier; Henri Pottier mentions them in his monograph. Judging by the quality of the workmanship, craftsmen from the closed Antioch Mint were involved in their appearance. These folles, despite their “original” appearance, are no longer an imperial issue; rather, I represent an attempt to saturate the regional market with the usual copper coin in the realities of the Perian occupation.

Samples from the Pottier's monograph:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity