Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nerva AE31 Silvered Medallion?  (Read 1089 times)

janusancient

Nerva AE31 Silvered Medallion?
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:00:12 pm »
Hi, I need assistance in identifying this coin/medallion of Nerva.

Background:  The medallion was dug up in the Village of West Witton near Leyburn Wensleydale, North Yorkhire, UK.  The Romans had a fort at the village of Bainbridge which is a village about 10 miles further down the road.   

I am trying to ascertain if this is an actual medallion or coin of Nerva as it is unusual.  The obverse looks to be normal with legend IMP NERVA CAES AVG PMTR P COS II PP.  The base metal is bronze 31mm, but was originally SILVERED with traces still present.  The patina looks even with some encrstations in places.

The reverse is blank except (patina) for the portrait that is incuse (the legend is not incuse though).  Unfortunately I do not have a scale but the flan is thin and may weigh closer to an AS.  I had brockage coinage before but this is different in many ways.

Does anyone have information on Nerva medallions or more insight on this coin/medallion?

Thanks!

Rich

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Nerva AE31 Silvered Medallion?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:32:12 pm »
Hello,

the style of the portrait and the letters donĀ“t look Roman.
The realistic contemporary portraits of Nerva are very different.
I think this is a later (cast) medal (19th century?).
Where is a picture of the reverse?

Regards

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:06:30 pm »
I'm with Arminius on this one, the lettering does not look Roman. What stood out the most to me is the M in IMP, the R in NERVA, and the letter P (note the two different versions of the letter P, in IMP and PP). I'll leave judgement to the experts though

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:38:29 pm »
It occurred to me to wonder whether, when you find something on the land of persons who lived where Romans had preceded them, it might have been brought back from the Grand Tour by a previous gentleman and somehow been lost and buried there.  That's assuming Arminius is right (he usually is).  It doesn't look like Nerva to me, either, however.
Pat L.

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:39:05 pm »
I'm not an expert on medallions, but one could safely assume the top engravers were chosen to produce these as presentation type pieces, and the lettering on this coin is far from that - it does look "modern" (i.e., not ancient to that period).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity