Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I would like opinions on authenticity  (Read 675 times)

Offline Marcelo A

• Legionary
I would like opinions on authenticity
« on: October 26, 2023, 08:27:01 pm »
Good evening, everyone. I was presented with this Republican denarius today, and the edge bothers me a lot. It seems to have been made by electrotype, but I am not familiar with this type of coinage reproduced by the Mint or any other institution. Is the coin genuine, or am I being too critical of it?"

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: I would like opinions on authenticity
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 03:50:47 pm »

It would be good to know the exact weight of the coin, in grams (x.xx grams).

If you don't have a scale that will tell you this, a jeweler might weight it for you.

Offline Marcelo A

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 03:51:58 pm »
The weight is 4,4g - It seems correct

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 09:03:55 pm »
If it is fake it is a electrotype (galvanocopy), which look, more or less perfect, except each side is made separately and they must be joined. It does have the look of an electrotype.

All the electrotypes I have seen have had a clear seam where the two sides were joined. I cannot be certain from the photos if that is a seam (with an attempt to cover it up) or not. It should be easier to know seeing it in hand. Does the possible seam go 100% of the way around? That would be very suspicious. You can see some of the edge seams here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=39

If it is an electrotype there should be more of the same. They were made at the British Museum and they made made multiple copies. I looked for other examples and did not find one and they are, I think, mostly or all, well published.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Marcelo A

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 09:27:19 am »
Hello Joe, thank you for responding. I do believe it is electrotyped and not cast because I can't find any signs of casting such as bubbles or a porous surface. But what makes me cautious about this coin, besides the tonality (typical of electrotyped coins), is the edge. However, if it is indeed electrotyped, it doesn't have the MB signature or any other similar marks. I also noticed a small bronze spot just above the helmet between 11-12 o'clock. So far, I've only seen one type of electrotyped Roman Republic coin, and it looked nothing like this. I would like to hear more opinions on it. Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity