Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to identify a byzantine trachy  (Read 716 times)

stborg

Help to identify a byzantine trachy
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »
Hi

I have another byzantine trachy to identify. Thanks for any help

Steve

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Help to identify a byzantine trachy
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54:34 am »
Steve

Isaac II 1185-1195
Sear 2003

Reverse:
The Virgin enthroned facing, nimbate and wearing pallium and maphorium; She holds before Her nimbate head of the infant Christ facing; on either side of nimbus, MP - OV

Obverse:
 Isaac standing facing, wearing crown, divitision and loros, andsagion; he holds cruciform sceptre and akakia, and is crownedby Manus Dei in upper field to r.; to l., I / CAA / KI / OC;to r.,ΔEC/Π/T/C. Mint of Constantinople.   

example here

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=14

I have learned over time it is sometimes helpful to have a size (in mm) and a weight if you can to sort these out from other trachys.

cordially

CW

stborg

Re: Help to identify a byzantine trachy
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:54:49 am »
Hi CW
Many thanks for you help. Coin has an approx diameter of 25mm and a weight of 3.76g.
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity