Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze disease?  (Read 125 times)

Offline Philippe C

• Auxiliary
Bronze disease?
« on: March 16, 2024, 06:01:09 pm »
I'm a bit of a newbie, but can someone more informed tell me if this coin has bronze disease?

Also, what are the reddish bits?

Thanks!
Phil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 11:58:05 pm »
Welcome to Forum.  Nice looking coin.

I'd check out that greenish blue spot on the rim.  If it's fuzzy and easily comes off then yes, it's bronze disease.  Easy enough to treat. 

Offline Philippe C

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 12:54:41 pm »
Hi,

What would you recommend for treatment? I've seen someone put bronze-diseased coins in hot oil to 'boil off' the BD. Read another approach with distilled water, others with products...

Also, if anyone knows what that mark is on the right of the horseman, it looks like a mint mark, but I'm not sure where to find the info about those.

Thanks!
Phil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 02:17:05 pm »
Can't help with the mint mark.

But I would start with distilled water.  It will pull the powdery stuff out of the coin and won't harm patina.  Give it a few days to a week with soft brushing and then see what you got.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 06:40:43 pm »
I agree with Jay.  The coin has almost certainly had BD in the past - the dark red blisters are evidence of that.

Brush, wash and watch.  If you keep it in a low humidity environment it might be fine forever.

If the BD does come back post new photos and we'll talk about more advanced treatments.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 09:23:19 pm »
I agree with Jay.  The coin has almost certainly had BD in the past - the dark red blisters are evidence of that.

Brush, wash and watch.  If you keep it in a low humidity environment it might be fine forever.

If the BD does come back post new photos and we'll talk about more advanced treatments.

SC

I did not realize that the dark red 'blisters' are from past bronze disease. Good to know.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity