Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin of the Day - Antoninus Pius Elephant As  (Read 62 times)

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
Coin of the Day - Antoninus Pius Elephant As
« on: March 21, 2024, 08:21:16 am »
Good morning everyone!

I just added a new coin my gallery! Check it out here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186412

There are a couple coin themes I enjoy collecting. Rare/interesting Roman As reverse types is one. Animals (particularly African animals) is another. This coin combines both! The type was struck to celebrate the 900th anniversary of Rome's founding, during the reign of Antoninus Pius. The reverse inscription - MVNIFICENTIA AVG - may be translated as "The munificence [generosity] of the Emperor": an acknowledgment of Antoninus' generous sponsorship of the extensive public games and spectacles, in which exotic animals like this elephant were displayed.

This coin features one of the best elephant's I've seen for this type, so I was delighted to be able to add it to my collection!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Coin of the Day - Antoninus Pius Elephant As
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:30:52 pm »

We collectors of ancient coins appear to have a real soft spot for elephants! Your Antoninus Pius As is wonderful, with its African elephant rendered in beautiful naturalistic style

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
Re: Coin of the Day - Antoninus Pius Elephant As
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 08:17:00 am »
Quote from: gallienus1 on April 04, 2024, 11:30:52 pm

We collectors of ancient coins appear to have a real soft spot for elephants! Your Antoninus Pius As is wonderful, with its African elephant rendered in beautiful naturalistic style.

Thanks! If I'd have a favorite animal it'd be the elephant, so I'm always partial to elephant coins.  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity