Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare 1st year Domitian RIC 3 variant?  (Read 68 times)

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
Rare 1st year Domitian RIC 3 variant?
« on: March 18, 2024, 11:05:43 am »
Here is an interesting domitian denarius from 81 AD that I recently got in a lot of coins. I was going to trade it on but after spending some time with the coin despite its well work condition decided it belonged in the collection. This appears to be a group 1 first year denarii of Domitian from 81 AD, and I suspect it is the variant of RIC 3 (3b) given the extra mark or Lituus under the roof on the reverse of the coin? But I would love input if you think it is just a regular RIC 3-it is hard given the condition of the coin. There is a great write up of the commemorative issues of 81 AD on Hazelton Coll. https://hazeltoncoll.com/article.php/the-commemorative-issue-of-81-part-3-domitian-denarius-ric-3-var-augurum-vs-auguralis/4jz5z3wu1v

The attribution is as follows and you can also see it in my gallery. Thanks,

Justin

Domitian: Augustus 81-96 AD
ID: Domitian AR Denarius
Denomination: AR Denarius
Year: ca. 81 AD
Bust: Laureate Head Right
Obverse: IMP CAESAR DOMITIANVS AVG
Reverse: TR P COS VII
Type: draped throne, back decorated with grain ears, lituus beneath the frame.
Mint: Rome
Weight & Measures: 2.82g; 18mm
RIC: RIC 3 Var (R).
Provenance: Ex. CNG E-Auction 557; Lot 974
Purchase: (part of lot of 8 ancient coins).

Translation: OB: Emperor Caesar Domitianus Augustus
Translation: REV: Tribunicia Potestate, Consul for the 7th time.
Notes: Group 1, first year variant denarius of Domitian. Appears to have lituus beneath frame which would separate from RIC 3.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity