Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: VRBS ROMA Identification Help  (Read 609 times)

Lucas P

VRBS ROMA Identification Help
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:01 pm »
Hello,

I've been cleaning a city commemorative coin and I believe it originates from the Siscia mint. However when I look online at the RIC available for Siscia they all have two stars in the background whereas this one only has one. Are there other RIC options available for this coin that are not shown online?

The photo quality is pretty bad so I apologize for that, I'm still trying to figure out how to take photos properly.

Thanks!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Lucas P

Re: VRBS ROMA Identification Help
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:24:26 pm »
Hi,

That looks a lot like the coin, but the thing is that the coin in the link you provided has two stars whereas the coin I am cleaning only has one.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:47:55 am »
Hi Lucas,

I think that your coin does have two stars - one above the wolf's shoulder and one above it's haunch. The stars are just not very clear because of the condition of the coin.

Incidentally there appears also to be a symbol or shoulder mark on the wolf on your coin. Victor Failmezger lists 17 different mark or symbol combinations in his book but unfortunately I can't make out what your one is.

Alex

Here are some symbols from my own coins.

From left: flower; flower; flower; gurges (whirlpool). You can click on the picture to enlarge it

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:58:46 am »
There is no one-star variety of the type or a different type with only one star. Even if the second star is actually missing, not worn or corroded, it would only mean that it was unstruck, probably due to a filled die. The second star on the reverse die used to strike the coin may have been filled with dirt or debris, and as a result the second star was not struck.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Lucas P

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:24 am »
Thanks for helping me identity this coin! I'm going to try to see if I can figure out what the mark on the shoulder is (if there is one).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity