Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The VOT XX of Valentinian III  (Read 293 times)

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The VOT XX of Valentinian III
« on: June 14, 2023, 08:32:55 am »
Kent places this nummus with legend VOT XX in group II (RIC 2129 and 2130, 430-437) and in group III (RIC 2136, 440-55). Many other numismatists place all three after 437, since the praenomen PLA is missing from the nominative legend.
Observing the images of the three types, I notice that for all of them, when the cones are well executed, the face that can be observed is decidedly childish.
Since it is a votive coinage, and therefore an omen for good governance, one wonders what the event and the date to which it corresponds are.
Seeing these almost childish portraits and going against the common opinion and what J.P.C. Kent, I ask myself whether the VOT XX was actually minted in 425, i.e. on the occasion of the coronation of Valentinian III. The absence of the praenomen PLA does not bother me, since the RIC 2104 and 2106, the first nummus minted in the name of Valentinus III, lack the praenomen.
What do you think?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: The VOT XX of Valentinian III
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 05:29:14 pm »
Interesting idea.  Was there any evidence provided for placing it in group II or III?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: The VOT XX of Valentinian III
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 05:42:57 pm »
Kent in the RIC puts the VOT XX in group II as the nominal legend is DNVALENTINIANUSPFAVG, without the PLA. However, the same Kent in his first work of systematization of the nummus of Valentinian III, placed the VOT XX, as a vota suscepta, in 425 and the VOT XV, vota soluta, in 440, 15 years after the VOT XX.
"Group I includes, some time after its start, a type VOT XX in wreath. Group II contains a rare reverse, VOT XV. Single vow are generally, though not invariably, suscepta, but it seems that only by treating the XX as sucepta i. e. failing at the decennalia c.435 and the XV as soluta can an intelligible order be obtained. The date of Valentinian's third quinquennalia is not not know from documents, but it is likely that they were celebrated concurrently with his fifth consulate in 440, and this is the probable date or the VOT XV reverse. " (Kent, The italian bronze coinage of Valentinian III and a hoard of fifth-century Roman bronze coins from El-Djem, Tunisia, 1988, page 186.
Personally I'm leaning towards relocating the VOT XX in 425, as in Kent's initial idea. The first nummus minted in the name of Valentinian between 424 and 425 is the RIC 2104 and the nominative legend does not have the PLA.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity