Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barco Borghese in Monte Porzio Catione  (Read 794 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Barco Borghese in Monte Porzio Catione
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:12:34 am »
Whilst recently in Rome I visited a remarkable archaological site with friends and family, Barco Borghese ("Borghese's hunting park") in Monte Porzio Catone (yes, the surrounding area is named after the Porcia Catones!). My photos are here, and the captions explain a lot: I also show below this post five pictures from my visit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157633315376586/detail/

It's only been excavated in the last decade or so, and in scale and perhaps purpose it is most similar to the Temple of Fortuna Primigenia at Preneste. The Borghese building is a massive sanctuary (no signs of habitation) whose interior floor area is some 150,000 square feet and that has over 200 rooms, many massive. Thus it forms one of the largest intact buildings in the ancient world, yet I bet no-one has heard of it. The reason for the name is that the sanctuary lies under Borghese grounds, and thus was likely immune from excavation for centuries and then forgotten about. It dates from the mid second century BC, but the bulk of the structure is probably Augustan. When compared with the well-known brick basilicas of the later empire it is a surprise to see such a massive building constructed without the use of rectangular pottery brick, instead it seems to use a mixture of stone blocks, basalt stone bricks, opus incertum brickwork, and pottery tiles (as on a roof) used as bricks. The complex is far from fully excavated, and no restoration has taken place apart from safeguarding, so every brick and tile you see in my photos is in its original position; the same goes for the plaster-work on the ceilings of the vaults. My photos focus on building techniques rather than on grand vista's. About one hour outside Rome by car, visits by appointment only, apply via the museum at Monte Porzio Catone (details on internet).

On the exterior brickwork note, no rectangular clay/pottery bricks at all. Those things that look like bricks are basalt blocks, and stacked on them are tiles used as bricks, and the column has the typical diamond shape pattern of early Roman opus incertum. So whilst this is as big as the baths of Diocletian (bigger in fact) there is not a single ordinary brick in the building. Also note the floor on the photo with me in it, criss-crossed small tiles similar to parquet. There are wonderful brickwork and tiling patterns on the interior, and one also sees decorative tiles reused from prior applications on roofs, with their relief designs still visible. And there are some surprises too. There are two massive basilica style aisles with hundreds of rooms leading off; I show small parts of both aisles. Perhaps this was a prototype Basilica design!

Andrew

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Re: Barco Borghese in Monte Porzio Catione
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:45:26 am »
Thanks for showing.   What was the building complex used for?
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:16:05 am »
Thanks for showing.   What was the building complex used for?

The archaeologists think it may be a religious sanctuary - as I said perhaps its purpose it is most similar to the Temple of Fortuna Primigenia at Preneste. It wasn't a home - not a sign of any human habitation or what humans lose or drop or throw away. What "religious sanctuary" means in practice, I don't know. Any guesses? It was so huge with so many store rooms that I suggested an arsenal or store place, but apparently there wasn't an ancient Roman concept of a large weapon store. Since practically nothing has been found within, apart from its stunning architecture, this suggests perhaps transient use, torchlight processions or whatever. Why build a permanent structure? And why does no-one know about it from history? I think if I was building a structure as big as the Colosseum, I might let people know.

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:04 pm »
I hesitate to guess, not knowing much about the ancient buildings in Rome, but I'd say food storage of some sort.  A utilitarian building would not carry the same political value as a bath and would go undedicated. 
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity