Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severed Head!!! (Roman Republican Coins--Detailed information?)  (Read 1805 times)

kjmalla

One of the things I enjoy about Republican coins is the history or story behind the images portrayed. 

For example, below is a coin I own. According to one source, the Roman
warrior being displayed was the grandfather of the moneyer (Silus).
He was a hero of the 2nd Punic War, although he was wounded and
ended up having his right arm amputated (and replaced with an iron arm).
The grandfather went on the fight in Gaul, where the image below
is taken: His Grandfather holding a sword and severed Celtic warrior's
head in his LEFT hand.

Is there some books, or other means, by which I can find out that level of detailed info (if it exists) for other coins of the republican period?

thanks!
Ken

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
Re: Severed Head!!! (Roman Republican Coins--Detailed information?)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 12:49:04 pm »
Hi Ken

the best soruce of informations on Republican Coins is Crawford's Roman Republican Coinage, Cambridge 1974, a 2 volume book quite expensive  (about 270 €).

Otherwise, a good book is Roman Republican Moneyers and their coins 63-49 bc by M Harlan Seaby London 1995, and Sear's The history and coinage of the roman imparators 49-27 bc. Spink  London 1998.

Here another Sergia's denarius

Plinius

...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 10:29:01 pm »
Another way to get detailed information is to go to primary sources. Livy is available in paperback quite cheaply and is the major source for the period. It is also available on-line.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 10:46:09 pm »
The most convenient place to get such details about the types of Roman Republican coins is still Grueber's British Museum Catalogue of 1910, which is fairly available (though not usually cheap) since a reprint was issued in 1970.
Grueber, for example, confirms the details you give above about M. Sergius Silus, and names the source, Pliny's Hist. Nat. vii. 104-6.  Crawford 286 also gives the story and source, but with less detail; his primary interest was the chronology of the coinage and economic reasons for its production, not the explanation of the types.
Curtis Clay

kjmalla

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 06:01:13 am »

Thanks for all the responses! I'm looking forward to digging deeper
into the sources mentioned.

Thanks again,
Ken

kjmalla

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 10:18:50 am »
Found this searching the archives Gilgamesh provided:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0104%3Aid%3Dsilus-sergius1

They also have Pliny the Elder's Natural History book, Livy..and so on and so forth.

Very interesting.

Ken

kjmalla

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 10:27:55 am »

Here is the detailed account from Pliny the Elder (last paragraph) for anyone interested:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0137&query=page%3D%23672&word=Sergius

regards,
Ken

Bohemond

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 03:03:09 am »
Here's mine  8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity