Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severan Mysteries  (Read 120 times)

Offline Nicholas Z

• Praetorian
Severan Mysteries
« on: January 29, 2024, 12:02:57 pm »
Hello all,

I have two coins that I cannot attribute.  I was hoping for some help.

The first is an issue of Julia Domna with Latin legends on the obverse.  The reverse, however, appears to have Latin characters but I cannot make out what the legend should be.  The first letter may be an M or it may be a very condensed IVL.  The argument for an M is that the tops between the letters appear to be connected.  On the other hand, the bottom right leg of the M could arguably have a curved tail to the right which may indicate another letter.  Either way, I'm clueless.  I'm also clueless as how to post the picture within the thread.  :-/

The second issue is of Severus.  It has standard Greek legends on the obverse.  However, on the reverse, the legend appears to be of PAVTALIATWN.  There is no known horse prancing right of Severus for Pautalia though.  I do not see this in Varbanov.  Dane from Wildwinds tends to think it could be a recoinage since there appears to be design elements peeking out from under the current design.  If anyone can shed some light on this issue, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Nick

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Severan Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 01:11:16 pm »
The reverse of the upper one reminds me of the MINERVA reverse of Geta

https://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.51767

What is the size? Could it be an ancient  forgery?

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 04:44:58 pm »
The second one seems to read PAVTALIWTWN, ie a Sept Sev from Pautalia, but it is an odd one indeed

Clueless

Offline Nicholas Z

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 05:53:08 pm »
Both coins are on the small side.  The JD is 18mm and the Severus is 19mm.

It could be possible that the Domna is a bronze imitation of a denarius.  However the style seems too good for an imitation. 

Nothing about the coins concern me about being modern.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 08:25:09 pm »
Of course Nick - the Domna coin might be a Limes denarius. I didn't think of that....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity