Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: monogram  (Read 670 times)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
monogram
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:28:10 am »
I know there are hundreds of monograms for the seals of officials. I was wondering if one might though be able to decipher what this one might be.

Thanks

cw

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: monogram
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:14:58 am »
These monograms will be hard to solve, as they leave room to many possibilities (X/N/M or all those letters). The obverse is possibly 'Chartoulariou' monogram, can't make much of the second one. If the reading of the first one is correct, that would have to be a personal name, possibly combined with a patronym.
The two monograms are the same, except for the bottom line on the 2nd one, adding delta to the monogram? So certainly A, O, P, T, V and possible I, M, N, X.
Regards
Gert

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: monogram
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »
Well that is of help, I was not expecting a exact ID or anything.

Appreciate the input.

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity