Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Questions on a Gallienus Tetradrachm  (Read 1658 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Questions on a Gallienus Tetradrachm
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:24:46 pm »
I recently acquired the attached Gallienus Tetradrachm but have a couple of questions:

The seller’s attribution was Emmett 3802; Dikaiosyne seated. I read the coin as Emmett 3817, which is listed as Homonoia seated.

Is 3817 correct? What would it be in Milne or Curtis?

I am not familiar with Homonia or Dikaiosyne are they the same personification or are there differences? What I could find online lacked substance on either.

HK

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Questions on a Gallienus Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:48:35 pm »
John Melville Jones, "Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins" describes Dikaiosyne as the Greek equivalent of Justice or Aequitas, usually shown bearing scales. Homonoia, is defined a the Greek equivalent of Concordia, usually depicted with a patera, branch or corn ear.  So, neither is clearly your reverse goddess, who appears to bear a cornucopia.

Your picture is a bit grainy and I'm having a tough time making out the regnal date.  Is the regnal date of your coin IB (12) or IA (11)?  Emmett 3801 only lists the Dikaiosyne seated type in year IA (11).  The Homonoia seated type is listed at Emmett 3817 in both years 11 and 12.

However, there is also a "Tyche seated left on throne type" listed for Gallienus at Emmett 3837 in years 11 and 12.  Tyche is often portrayed with a cornucopia, and I wonder if this might not be a better attribution

Unfortunately, Emmett's reverse descriptions are quite brief, and my recently ordered copy of Milne has not arrived yet.  There appears to be a palm (?) to the right of your goddess, and she is also holding something in her extended right hand that I can't quite make out (maybe a corn ear - which would be consistent with Homonoia).  One of the more descriptive catalogues might describe these other elements and help with a stronger attribution.

I hope that helps.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:51:21 pm »

The date is probably IB and it is Emmett 3817 Homona, no rudder for Tyche, no scales for Dikaiosyne. It would then be Milne 4107, with palm to right.

c.rhodes

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:29:57 am »
I did some further checking and I concur with C. Rhodes.  Tyche is nearly always depicted with rudder in addition to cornucopiaHomonoia is often depicted with single or double (as in your case) cornucopia and raised hand. 

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:17:20 am »
Thank you both for the quick response

We'll go with Homonoia and a double cornucopia but what of the left hand. It does look to me like a patera with some material below the hand.

Not having good resources for this type what is described in the left hand for Emmett 3817?

Working on a better picture

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:27 am »
77HK77:

Right hand raised and open, but holding nothing. The palm to the right signifies the decennalia (ten years (or over) of reign achieved).

Iwaniw

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
Thanks,
The open hand is an interesting gesture. Is there a specific meaning given to the position; raise, open palm facing out?

I've attached a better shot to see the open hand

The highlights are the result of a material (glue?) which is holding the dirt in place. I would like to remove it but not knowing the material I'm hesitant.
I'm afraid of only getting part of the material off leaving an uneven tone. At least now it's all uniform
Any suggestions?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity