Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 149 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Forum purchase o' the day
« on: March 02, 2024, 07:04:11 pm »
Would like to share this coin that I just got from FORUM. Was happy to have it arrive today; it adds to my Imperator era gallery.

Kings of Galatia, Amyntas, 37 - 25 B.C. Bronze AE 23, RPC I 3505; SNG Cop 99; SNGvA 6108; SNG BnF 2377; BMC Galatia p. 3, 12,  weight 8.214g, maximum diameter 22.5mm, die axis 0o, obverse bust of Herakles right, club over left shoulder, E - C behind; reverse Nemean lion walking right, B above, AMYNTOY monogram in exergue.

Amyntas was a King of Galatia and of several adjacent countries between 36 and 25 BC. He first seemed to have controlled Lycaonia and then added Derbe. He commanded the Galatian auxiliaries sent to help Brutus and Cassius against the Triumvires but deserted to Mark Anthony just before the battle of Philippi in 42 BC. After the death of Deiotarus, Amyntas was made king of Cappadocia in 37 as a client ruler of Mark Antony. He deserted to Octavian shortly before the battle of Actium, and he was confirmed as king of Galatia. After he took over Homonada and killed its ruler, he was killed in an ambush in 25 AD. After his death, Galatia became a Roman province.

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=40464

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 12:31:31 am »
Historic type.  That's quite the jaw line

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 02:19:10 am »
It is more likely beard, than a strange jawline.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:33:00 am »
Probably right, I had the rulers of Pergamon like Attalos in mind with the very wide neck and jaw

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 04:20:12 pm »
Nice coin, he seems to have always picked the wrong man - but knew when the winds shifted to the other side xD

All coins are guaranteed for eternity