Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II as Caesar Antioch Tetradrachm - Translation Needed.  (Read 110 times)

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
Philip II as Caesar Antioch Tetradrachm - Translation Needed.
« on: February 12, 2024, 12:35:03 am »
Acquired this a couple days ago, I've always wanted an Eagle tetradrachm from Antioch since I first started. Scraped up some extra funds and finally got to splurge on this fine coin. I'm extremely pleased with how it is. However, I'm only used to roman denarius - I have little to no experience in Greek/Greek style coins, I'm unsure where to go for translation. I'm hoping one of you would be able to translate this for me.

Obverse: MAP IOYΛI ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC KЄCAP
Reverse: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC YΠATOΓ

Also, how would one be able to translate the lettering themselves? Do you have to know ancient Greek, would knowing modern Greek help? If anyone has any insight on this I would love to know. Thank you!

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
Re: Philip II as Caesar Antioch Tetradrachm - Translation Needed.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 03:14:50 pm »
Thank you! I can get at least half of it translated - wayyy more than I could ever do. Thanks!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 02:54:16 am »
MAP IOYΛI ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC stands for his name which was in full Marcus Julius Severus Philippus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_II_(Roman_emperor)).
CAP stands for Caesar, his title.
ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC means "with tribunician power", the greek form of "tribunicia potestate".
YΠATOΓ is not written on this coin  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 04:55:23 pm »
Appreciate it, I realized after posting that YΠATOΓ wasn't on the coin. I ripped the description straight from the vcoins dealer.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity