Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bonus Eventus - God or Goddess?  (Read 170 times)

Offline Jeremiah S

• Legionary
Bonus Eventus - God or Goddess?
« on: November 10, 2023, 11:53:04 am »
Hello,

I'm putting together a collection of roman imperial denarii that feature goddesses on the reverse. I had previously assumed that Bonus Eventus was a god as all the reverses I saw looked masculine and every resource I can find online describes that deity in masculine terms.

However, I recently came across a denarius of Septimius Severus with what clearly appeared to be a feminine form of Bonus Eventus. I also noted that when the Deity has a masculine appearance the legend reads BONVS EVENTVS but when it appears feminine the legend reads BONI EVENTVS.

Can someone explain this to me? Are their two separate "deities" or are these just different personifications of two different types of good luck/outcome that were assigned a masculine or feminine role depending on what they related to?

Thanks,

Jslade

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Bonus Eventus - God or Goddess?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 02:46:36 pm »
Dear Islade!

Thear was an article about Bonus Eventus in the Mythology Thread where your problem was discussed too.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.msg767498#msg767498

Best regarss
Jochen

Offline Jeremiah S

• Legionary
Re: Bonus Eventus - God or Goddess?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 03:23:26 pm »
Hi Jochen,

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. It was just what I was looking for.

I was so stuck on the legend, it never occurred to me that it was actually Fides being represented on that coin.

Best,

Jeremiah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity