Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Flip Inserts  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• Legionary
Coin Flip Inserts
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:19 pm »
I purchased a 100 count package of Vinyl Coin flips from the Forvms store.. very nice flips indeed... But now I need to purchase 100 Flip inserts . I noticed the Forvm store doesn't offer them.
Any suggests on where i can buy some, or perhaps suggest a Card Stock that i can buy and cut my own inserts...(thought I'd prefer precuts)...

Thanks for any & all help...

DEAN ~~~~~ 8)
"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Coin Flip Inserts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:25:26 am »
Go to any of the larger mega-craft stores (e.g., Joann's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.), and in the stamping supplies section they generally have dozens if not 100s of different types of paper. 

I recommend buying acid free card stock even though it probably won't actually come in contact with the coins' surfaces.  It comes in everything from pure white to slightly off-white and tan.  You might even find a hole punch in the size you need to create the individual tags.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:03:05 am »
But now I need to purchase 100 Flip inserts . I noticed the Forvm store doesn't offer them.

Forum used to have 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of flip inserts you could print out and put in the flips.  Joe has not had them for some time.  Since the Forum has not had the flips, I've justed used a nice paper, make 2x2 text boxes, and include the information that way.  I'll print out the page, and cut out the flips.  Mine have two sides similar to the Forum with the coin description on one side, and general information about the coin on the other.  If you see the descriptions in my gallery, that is cut and paste with the first paragraph one side of the insert, and the second paragraph the other side

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:16 am »
I knew I asked about it when Joe ran out, and here is the thread with advice people gave me:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=79784.msg499174#msg499174

and if you are interested, here is a thread I found while looking for the one above about what people include in their descriptions:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=88492.msg551291#msg551291

Offline Flyjunkie

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:29:38 pm »
thanks for the help..  I had done additional searches online and didn't seem to locate anything.. so i have figured that cutting my own is the option i have..
No big deal as I do not mind hand writing the information...

Thanks for the Help again... +++

DEAN ~~~~ 8)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:02:07 pm »
thanks for the help..  I had done additional searches online and didn't seem to locate anything.. so i have figured that cutting my own is the option i have..
No big deal as I do not mind hand writing the information...

Thanks for the Help again... +++

DEAN ~~~~ 8)

Hi Dean,

That's what I do. I cut my own. It is actually necessary for me to do that because I like to keep the (usually European) dealer's tag with (between) my own tags. Therefore, I need 2 pieces of paper.

When you say "vinyl", I hope you are mistaken. I hope you mean mylar plastic flips. Vinyl (PVC) flips are not good for long-term storage. They can damage your coins. Dealers like to use them short-term.

The last time I ordered mylar plastic flips, the dealer sent me 100 of those white cardboard inserts. I don't use them. I put them aside. I'll probably just wind up throwing them out. If you still want them, I wish there was an easy way for me to get them to you. It will probably cost more to ship them than they are worth.

By the way, I love your avatar. That's my kind of girl - dark and Gothic. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Flyjunkie

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on December 17, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
Hi Dean,

That's what I do. I cut my own. It is actually necessary for me to do that because I like to keep the (usually European) dealer's tag with (between) my own tags. Therefore, I need 2 pieces of paper.

When you say "vinyl", I hope you are mistaken. I hope you mean mylar plastic flips. Vinyl (PVC) flips are not good for long-term storage. They can damage your coins. Dealers like to use them short-term.

The last time I ordered mylar plastic flips, the dealer sent me 100 of those white cardboard inserts. I don't use them. I put them aside. I'll probably just wind up throwing them out. If you still want them, I wish there was an easy way for me to get them to you. It will probably cost more to ship them than they are worth.

By the way, I love your avatar. That's my kind of girl - dark and Gothic. :)

Meepzorp

Thank you Meepzorp, i would be interested in those inserts if you still have them.. i won't mind paying some $$ to get them... I'll PM you about the inserts

The flips are not Vinyl, my mistake.. they are the archival Safe Coin Flips that are offered in the Forvm Coin store.. totally safe indeed.

The Avatar photo is of  Johanna Herrstedt.. my kind of girl as well...  8)

Thank you for the reply...

DEAN ~~~~ 8)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:59 am »
Does anyone on Forum have an MS Word setup that will print a typical coin description onto a correctly sized flip-insert ready to be cut out. I'm thinking someone perhaps has a page already set up with table array with the very small fonts and layout and dummy coin descriptions already correctly sized so as to print multiple inserts for 2x2  flips on an A4 page, such that I'd only need to copy and past (text only) to generate flip inserts. Perhaps even set up so as to print from a database! I am completely unable to handwrite in a legible or small or charming manner, and the effort needed to create the template is putting me off.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:22 am »
I normally use an Excel spreadsheet for labels. Things are much more controllable.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:57:11 am »
I normally use an Excel spreadsheet for labels. Things are much more controllable.

Its the formatting that's scary. Every excel sheet I've ever printed in the last 30 years has come out somewhat different on paper, or sometimes extremely different, than what I expected. At least with Word you know it's designed to fit when printed on a normal page. If the parameters are little square boxes of text a little less than 2 inches square each when printed, and surrounded by white space and with tiny but legible type font and contents that fit most coin descriptions, then I suspect others have been down this exact path before.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:23 am »
No, it's very easy. Create one label in the top left hand corner. Write typical inscriptions in cells to make 3-4 lines, or whatever. Put an overall box round the cells that will be your label, with blank cells to act as borders as desired. Print a test page at 1 to 1 (not to fit). Measure the results and adjust column widths and row heights so that it prints the right size. Format the cells with text in for height and font. Copy this first label as many times to the left and down as fits a page, adjusting column widths and row heights to be the same as the first label. That's it. You can then copy the master page as many times as required within the same work-book, and identify each page on the tab below.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:47:24 am »
Andrew:
I have an automatic ticket creator set up in my collection database that I've designed on MS Access. Unfortunately, I don't think it is shareable without the database design in toto. The beauty of using a database for tickets is that you can put your effort into design of a uniform ticket rather than cutting/pasting/typing. I recently designed an abbreviated 1 X 1 inch ticket that I will likely use for Abafil trays if and when I make the switch (at that size the tickets will contain little more than my collection number, mint/date, standard reference attribution and provenance).  I can now generate hundreds of tickets for my entire collection, in either 2 X 2 flip size or 1 X 1 Abafil size, with a couple of mouse clicks.

Before this system, I would use a simple table set up in MS WORD to the correct dimensions for tickets with "show lines" selected to make cutting a bit easier. This required typing each ticket by hand, using the last one as the guide for the next one.

If this is for your own collection, I recommend the Access approach for ability to manipulate the data and change ticket sizes across your entire collection with relative ease. If your collection is currently in Excel, you can migrate your spreadsheet to Access pretty easily. There is learning curve to Access, but if I could learn it... ;)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:24 am »
Thanks for the helpful on list and off list replies. There are several options I'm now considering. Yes I'm with Excel since Lotus 1-2-3 days, my current spreadsheet was created in 1984 and has just evolved over the last 30 years. I'll try a few options. I'm a complete klutz when it comes to print setups so I have to find something simple that works and that allows me to copy existing data and then stick with it for the next three decades. My first coin spreadsheet in 1-2-3 was made on a Compaq portable that weighed 19 pounds and had a 4 inch bw screen and booted from floppies. I'm still using the same spreadsheet .

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:01 am »
I've been a fan of spreadsheets since Lotus 123 days. I've made them do things completely un-envisioned by the software writers.

Printing is easy: Go to 'Page Break Preview' and make sure all your labels are sitting within one page. When you print, select 'no Scaling'.
Peter, London

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 08:29:38 am »
What I use is a Word document, and I'm not that savy with spreadsheets.  I contacted Andrew off line and emailed him what I use.  I'm happy so forward it on to anyone else who's interested.  Mine has 2x2 text boxes.  It was originally formatted to use with the perforated flips Forum used to sell, but I just print them on card stock now and cut them out. 

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:52 pm »
Quote from: Lucas H on December 19, 2013, 08:29:38 am
What I use is a Word document, and I'm not that savy with spreadsheets.  I contacted Andrew off line and emailed him what I use.  I'm happy so forward it on to anyone else who's interested.  Mine has 2x2 text boxes.  It was originally formatted to use with the perforated flips Forum used to sell, but I just print them on card stock now and cut them out. 

Thank you Lucas this is exactly what I was seeking. I attach a screenshot of it open in MS Word so one can see how it compares against an A4 page width, it's very nicely sized with an appropriate font.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity