Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Leo Anastasius Theodosius Tremissis fakes  (Read 341 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Leo Anastasius Theodosius Tremissis fakes
« on: December 26, 2023, 06:02:23 am »
May I ask if more die links of these fakes are known?
Top coin is currently for sale.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Leo Anastasius Theodosius Tremissis fakes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 10:06:30 am »
I don't recall seeing these before. Looks like a different reverse die on the top coin. Please tell us more of what you know about them.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 12:32:11 pm »
Some die combinations were sold through fake sellers on ebay, at least, 3 times Theodosius, 1 Leo and 1 Anastasius
All from fake reports, they can be found on forgerynetwork too

Always a bad sign if coins were sold through fake seller, so we need to understand why they are supposed to be fake.
I could not find authentic coins from these dies and the style is wrong and very similar on all implying the same artist must have done them.
So this would imply modern dies, the centering and details are very different on all making transfer die fakes and cast fakes very unlikely, especially if we consider that I could not find authentic coins from any of these dies.

The die combination Leo, Theodosius and Anastasius, the reverse die seems to have same die state implying that they must have been minted in short time after each other, of course it would be extremely unlikely to impossible.

Here we have the case that these coin from 3 EMPERORS must have been minted at the same MINT and at the SAME time but if we look for the times when they ruled we notice taht there is at least 50 years between them.

It would be a different case if the reverse die would be in different die states when used for different emperors, then it would mean that they were minted at a reasonable time after each other.

For example that the reverse die when used by Theododius II. was in freh die state and when used many many years later by Leo I. in a much later die state and then many many years later when used by Anastasius in a late die state.

Between the mintage of these coins is at least 50 years and that a reverse die was used by 3 emperors would be new to me.

Theodosius II, coin must have been minted between 402-450 AD

LEO I. coin must have been minted between 457-474 AD

Anastasius coin must have been minted between AD 491-518

Same style implies same artist and then this artist must have been cutting dies for all 3 emperors dies and the time gape between these emperors is at least 50 years up to 100 years. (impossible)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 12:37:22 pm »
To summorize:

No authentic coins know form these dies

Several sold through fake sellers on ebay

die links between 3 emperors and the die state is the same implying that they were minted short time after each other although between these emperors are at least 50 years and up to 100 years, 402-450 AD, 457-474 AD,491-518 AD

Same sytle of these implies same artist but for this case the artist must have cut dies for at least 50 years (he must have minted for 3 emperors), shortest time gape between Theodosius II. and Anastasius
People did not become as old in ancient times as nowadays and we have to coinsider that this artist did not start immediately after his birth with die cutting.

Style is wrong

They look pressed

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 07:20:22 pm »
I agree the style is wrong and they do look pressed. Just a glance is enough to arouse doubts. The fake sellers confirm it and, as you state, the die matches, etc. are impossible. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline LSW

• Consul
  • LSW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 06:27:32 pm »
May I ask if more die links of these fakes are known?
Top coin is currently for sale.

I have not found a single forgery piece of these tremissis in the archives of Polish auctions.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity