Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiberius or Augusts Fouree?  (Read 1460 times)

basemetal

Tiberius or Augusts Fouree?
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:06:01 pm »
Something occured to me. 
What if the "tribute penny" Jesus is reported to have used in his famous "Render Unto Caesar" was
a fouree?   To me it's one of those things that one  at first dismisses or writes off as an unverifiable detail.
But it might be of intellectual interest to us on the forum.
An ancient irony that very much appeals to me.  :)

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: Tiberius or Augusts Fouree?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:15:04 pm »
The Bible does not mention a fouree!!!  ;D  If is was, so much for the inerrancy of the Scriptures...  :-\

Best, Noah

basemetal

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:29:59 pm »
Well, for those accepting the validity of Jesus's origins, and purpose......he would have known.  And if it was the rendering of a less than ah...solid item......might have been one of history's greatest put-downs, and is much more exciting that that stupid DaVinci code stuff.  :)

TRPOT

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:52:58 pm »
Hmmm...maybe if he knew, he wouldn't have cared to mention it, because it would not have mattered in that particular situation...he was just making a point. If he had mentioned it, it would have made for an interesting Bible verse

"Render unto God that which is God's, and render unto Caesar that which is Caesars...and by the way, your coin is a fake."

basemetal

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:08:57 pm »
And don't bother taking it to those moneylenders in the temple......

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:56:34 am »
I don't suppose it's a historical quote anyway. Denarii were rare in Palestine at that period, and any silver coins around would be far more likely to have been drachms. But Mark Romanises terms to suit his audience, and the other Gospels follow him.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

basemetal

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:14:03 pm »
Lol TRPOT!

Now THERE would be a attributional authority to put in the flip.   ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity