Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sestertius 2  (Read 840 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Sestertius 2
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:14:05 pm »
Hi

I need ID and the RIC number 
Thank in advance

ser

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: Sestertius 2
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:35:34 pm »
This one is a little tough due to the lack of more visible legends.  With the IMP VII that seems to be visible, the reverse figure, and the obverse portrait, it might be...I emphasize MIGHT BE...this attribution:

Commodus Æ Sestertius. 186-187 AD. M COMMODVS ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT, laureate head right / PVBLICA FEL P M TR P XII IMP VIII COS V P P S-C, Felicitas standing left with patera & scepter. Cohen 645, RIC 503.

If there is anything else you can see (obverse legends, legends after the IMP VII, etc.) that can help make the attribution more decisive?

Best, Noah

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:50:12 pm »
Thank Noah

Is it possible Choen 529 ? 
I look cornucopiae.

ser

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:59:21 pm »
More likely Noah's obv. legend with P P added at end, rev. LIB AVG P M TR P XV IMP VIII COS VI S -C, Libertas holding cap and scepter, RIC 562, as image below from CoinArchives.  

Wrist bending down on rev. is more likely to be holding cap than patera.  Morever that Felicitas of 187 stands right, head left, a slightly different pose than the figure on the sestertius; see image of the corresponding denarius below
Curtis Clay

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 07:36:49 pm »
Thank to all 

Regards

ser

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 08:46:39 pm »
Thanks for the distinction Curtis.  I could not make out the image well and guessed a patera.  It is often difficult to pick out minute differences on coins that are worn.

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity