Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Early greek ?  (Read 626 times)

Juhana K

Early greek ?
« on: November 02, 2021, 06:00:07 am »
Hi!

I have searched for this one without success as I don't have any good idea of the origin. Possibly early Greek? However even they seem quite different.

Size: 16 mm
Thickness: 5 mm
Weight: 8 g.

Would appreciate if there are any suggestions.

Regards,
Juke

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Early greek ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 09:16:53 am »
Perhaps a tripod on the reverse but the coin is so worn I do not know how much we could tell for sure.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 10:32:26 am »
Has Molinari stated your coin is extremely worn and will be difficult to identify, to me it looks like a standing figure on the reverse.

Juhana K

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:07:42 am »
I understand that it might not be a possibility to define what the depicting on the coin is.

If there is a possibility to define what the probable origin (Greek?) and the probable time period of this type of coin (due to its thickness, a possibility of a tripod or classical figure) would be very helpful so I could thereby define it in my collection.

Offline ddwau

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 11:26:26 am »
I have some thick coins from medieval India called a dam.
If it has Islamic script it might be a 1/2 dam copper coin.

Juhana K

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 11:53:25 am »
I have also some Islamic coins and they differ from this one as the lines on the Islamic coins are more curvy and crude. This one has very straight and slim lines.

I don't know if there was a certain time period when more thick coins were used in the Greek or Balkan region and with classical motives (tripod or figure)?

I took one more picture from the opposite direction if it would help.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 02:50:36 am »
Hi folks,

When I first looked at it, I thought that the reverse looked like a male figure (Apollo?) standing, holding a bunch of grapes (?) in his right hand and an uncertain object (a shield or bow?) in his left hand.

Meepzorp

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 03:23:06 am »
There are such thick coins from rulers in Thracia:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7725851
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8444420
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7705137
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5030094

But they are a bit larger and have a higher weight, I don't think that the coin here is one of these.

Regards

Altamura

Juhana K

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 04:09:22 am »
Thanks for the suggestions! Based on all the info suggested I came to the conclusion that if there were not used such thick coins (in addition to Thracia which seems to have different motives) that it probably would not then be Greek.

I made some additional search with all the info suggested and found a good possible candidate which I didn't thought about but it would make sense that it's from Indo-Greek Kingdom as such types of coins were used there and with a motive from Greek due to the cultural impact.

I found this one which looks very similar and I think it is a good candidate. The only thing is that I only found silver ones but maybe bronze ones were made too. I am not 100% sure mine wouldn't be silver but thought anyway not to polish it more so not to wear down the patina.

Kindom: BAKTRIA, Indo-Greek
Time: Circa mid 2nd to mid 1st century BC
Obv: King diademed and draped bust right
Rev: Athena Alkidemos advancing left, raising shield and hurling thunderbolt

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1110413

I also turned my last photo around for better comparsion with the candidate. Thanks all again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity