Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me  (Read 140 times)

Offline Aimee H

• Legionary
Can anyone tell me
« on: February 18, 2024, 01:09:42 am »
I am looking to identify this coin? What is the metal it is made from? I did a acid scratch test for gold and it showed 10k.

Is this right or did I do something wrong

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Can anyone tell me
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 08:46:51 am »
Definitely NOT gold. It is Roman. You need to show us both sides and provide weight and diameter for a meaningful ID.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 08:52:48 am »
This seems to be the reverse side of your coin and so intensely cleaned, the light hides the details of it. A god(dess) or allegory with a patera between S C is visible. But you can certainly read more of the legend than we can see.
Is there a head on the obverse?  Can we see it? What is the weigth and size of your piece? You should give as much information as you can.
Till soon?

Offline Aimee H

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 02:18:28 pm »
Here is other side

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 02:41:05 pm »
Since you thought it might be gold, it is probably a sestertius, which are brass. The reverse probably says CERES AVG and depicts Ceres, the Roman goddess of the agriculture and the harvest. She is flanked by S C which abbreviates Senatus Consulto, stating the coin was struck with permission from the Roman senate. The Senate did not strike gold coins. I do not recognize the emperor from your photo but someone else might. The coin has very little value in part because it was cleaned improperly.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 02:49:04 pm »
This quite meager person on the reverse looks like on a sestertius of Trajan Decius:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4585174
http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.4.tr_d.105A
Perhaps this is a possibility.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity