Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman oil lamp?  (Read 380 times)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
Roman oil lamp?
« on: August 30, 2023, 12:15:13 pm »
Good afternoon all, I hope you are well. This oil lamp came in a mixed box of artefacts most of which seem pretty genuine to me but I am going to spend some time going through and trying to verify. I'd love opinions on this oil lamp if possible. Thanks as ever.

Stuart

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Roman oil lamp?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 03:58:36 pm »
Hi, Stuart.  The lamp purports to be a Roman "angular volute" type of the 1st-2nd century CE.  My concerns about this lamp arise from the style and possibly excessive details of the motif, along with the seemingly artificial application of the wear pattern.  The raised lip around the wick hole also seems unusual.  Again, I am not the main expert (or really any expert at all) on this subject, and hopefully others will weigh in.  Good luck!

https://www.romulus2.com/lamps/lampcat/lampcat2.shtml

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 04:31:51 pm »
Evening V-drome, thank you for your reply. I have to be honest and say it was purchased from an auction house on line so I was unable to view the box of items in real life and the auction house didn't even picture this lamp, so effectively it's a free hit as it were. I
understand your concerns and I must admit the detail on the horse motif seemed a little excessive given some of the examples I had found on line. Thank you for the link you posted aswell there are some lovely examples posted on it :)

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 10:24:34 pm »
The motif is Pegasus but I'm afraid your lamp is very clearly a modern replica. As you will see from V-drome's link, it bears only a very superficial resemblance to real Roman lamps.

Glad to hear it was basically a freebie!  :)

David
David Knell

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 12:57:29 am »
Hi David.  Thanks for weighing in.  Always nice to hear from you. 

Best regards, Jimi

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 05:54:19 pm »
Evening David,

Thanks for the reply, I feared the worst to be fair even to my very much untrained eye it seemed somewhat unlikely, but as previously mentioned it wasn't even documented in the lot I bought from the auction so shall not grumble to hard :) thanks again.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity