Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Opinions Requested on Athens Attica  (Read 104 times)

Offline Phillip M

• Legionary
Opinions Requested on Athens Attica
« on: March 22, 2024, 01:38:17 pm »
This coin was purchased early in 2010, and it is my opinion, the coin is authentic, but I would like to hear other opinions.

New style Athens coinage. Zoilos, Euandros, and Deinias, Magistrates (142/1). Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right. Rev: A-ΘE / ΖΩI-ΛΟΣ / ΕΥΑΝ/ΔΡΟΣ / ΔΕΙ/ΝΙΑΣ, Owl standing right on amphora; bee in right field, Δ on amphora, ME below; all within wreath.

(16.83g, 29mm, 12h)

Ref: Thompson 709d

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Opinions Requested on Athens Attica
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 03:00:59 pm »
We actually ask that you do not post coins you think are authentic here. Imagine if everyone did. We would be swamped. Please post only coins you suspect are fake and give the reason you suspect the coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 03:12:10 pm »
Very likely authentic.

Offline Phillip M

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 03:21:00 pm »
Thank you. I did have concerns regarding patina and soft strike on obv.

Again,
Thanks

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 04:36:28 pm »
Thank you. I did have concerns regarding patina and soft strike on obv.

Again,
Thanks

I do not think that the word patina is the correct word if it comes to silver coin, I think toning is more appropriate and the dark toning here could mean that it had much time to react with elements in air especially sulfur, I do not think that the toning has been done artificially. I though the word patina is only for bronze coins if the surface of the bronze coins reacted with elements and this chemical reaction is resulting in the crytallized surface called patina.
To the softness, dies get worn the longer they are used and your coin was struck with worn dies in a late die state.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity