Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Achelous Fragment  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Achelous Fragment
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:20:01 am »
I picked this one up just today, noticing the beard, bovine ears and horns, one of which may be depicted as broken.  The seller dated it to  1st-4th century AD.  Perhaps someone could say more based on the material.

We know of small man-faced bull masks with apotropaic functions, sometimes depicted with one broken horn, scattered throughout the Mediterranean in Cypro-Phoenician sites (8th-6th cent. BC).  This doesn't appear to be one of those, as it is probably a much, much later piece.  But I do think it is from the same, longstanding tradition of the man-faced bull used in this context.

Anyway, I'm excited to study it in hand!

Terracotta, 28/24mm

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Achelous Fragment
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:24:24 am »
Hi Nick,

That's an interesting antiquity.

Do you know where it was found?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari