Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tribute Penny  (Read 907 times)

Valecrucis

Tribute Penny
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:08:43 pm »
Hi Forum,

I would be very grateful if this Tribute Penny could be given the once over. I am a relatively novice collector and am in no position to assess its authenticity myself. I understand the rudimentary warning signs but haven't the experience to be able to identify them with any confidence. Besides seeing that this coin is over-cleaned I cannot spot anything that immediately makes me worry. I purchased the coin a couple of months ago and initially had no worries. The real reason that I am bringing this coin to your attention is that I recently discovered that some are suggesting the original seller is dubious. He isn't on the Forum notorious seller list and is in fact on some so called 'good-seller' lists (for what that's worth).

Diameter 19mm
Weight 3.39g
DA 180deg

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Tribute Penny
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:52:56 pm »
In addition to your concerns here are mine:

- a porous surface (from casting ?) , looks unusual for an over-cleaned specimen
 - absolutely no sharp details, also looks unusual for an over-cleaned specimen
 - tooled edge (to hide casting seams?)

i may be wrong but - probably a modern cast.

Valecrucis

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »
Hmm. I was beginning to suspect that might be a possibility. If that does turn out to be the case, I am going to have to learn to listen to my initial gut reaction. In retrospect I had some qualms as soon as I received the coin, but they were faint and drowned out by my enthusiasm at a new acquisition.

I am grateful for your thoughts Arminius. I would invite all others here to give their thoughts too. Either pro or con would aid my learning.

In the event that the consensus is that it is indeed not genuine, my next question is what should I do about it? Though a little time has passed, I suppose there is the possibility that the dealer might accept the return. It was bought on ebay btw. Upon whose authority could I claim it was a fake?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:44:47 pm »
Hmm. I was beginning to suspect that might be a possibility. If that does turn out to be the case, I am going to have to learn to listen to my initial gut reaction. In retrospect I had some qualms as soon as I received the coin, but they were faint and drowned out by my enthusiasm at a new acquisition.

I am grateful for your thoughts Arminius. I would invite all others here to give their thoughts too. Either pro or con would aid my learning.

In the event that the consensus is that it is indeed not genuine, my next question is what should I do about it? Though a little time has passed, I suppose there is the possibility that the dealer might accept the return. It was bought on ebay btw. Upon whose authority could I claim it was a fake?

Since you describe yourself as a novice, it's better in the future, instead of using your gut feeling, to follow the advice of all experienced collectors on this board, and completely avoid eBay until you have enough expertise to recognise for certain the good from the bad. I would not expect any novice collector to use gut feel. As is consistently recommended on Forum, buy in your initial years only from long-established and trustworthy retail dealers such as Forum. After about a decade and after owning and handling large numbers of genuine coins, perhaps eBay becomes a little less unsafe. Of course, if you've been buying on eBay so far, other examples you've bought may be fake in which case you may never get the feeling for genuine coins. This looks a crude fake, but there are more skilful, worse fakes on eBay. But seems no matter how often the advice is repeated, novices still choose to buy on eBay which is absolutely stuffed full of fakes. What more can be said. Perhaps use this as the warning signal to change buying habits. I hope so.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:37:44 pm »
Another option for a refund. If you paid using a credit card you can ask for a charge reversal based on the coin being fake.

Valecrucis

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »
Thanks Romanorum. Yes, if I had used a CC that would certainly be an option. However I had used Paypal and transferred funds directly to the PP account, so that isn't an option. I suspect that I will get the refund anyway. Most probably directly from the seller, but if not then via Paypal itself. I returned the coin today, so I shall see. I will let everyone here know of the eventual outcome.

Valecrucis

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:05 am »
Today I received a full refund for the coin....so the sincerest thanks to all who advised me on this thread for helping me to avoid a costly mistake, particularly to Andrew. I am very very appreciative of all those who share their expertise here and grateful for FORUM itself. +++

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:28:34 pm »
The best way to thank Forum is to click on our coin shop and buy something. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 05:25:55 pm »

The best way to thank Forum is to click on our coin shop and buy something. 

+++ +++ +++

Rare is the post that makes me literally laughed out loud, and is also very very true!!! ;D

Valecrucis

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 05:30:44 pm »
Shameless yet true huh!  ;D  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity