Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Max. Herc. Lugdunum, CotD  (Read 855 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Max. Herc. Lugdunum, CotD
« on: April 11, 2006, 05:28:55 pm »
We seem to have had a flurry of coins from this period on Lugdunum recently (I had hoped that it was only me focussing on them!) but I thought I owuld offer this one for you all to see.

Maximianus Heculius Antoninianus
Obv:– IMP MAXIMIANVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– SALVS AVGG, Salus standing right, feeding snake from patera
Minted in Lugdunum (Retrograde C in exe). Issue/Emission 7. Spring A.D. 290 A.D. 291
Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien XI 429 (2 examples cited). RIC V Pt. 2 422 var. Bust Type F (Not listed with retrograde C in RIC)

Coins with retrograde officina marks from this mint are always scarce but appear to be particularly so at this time. Not only does it have a scarce mark it has what I consider a crisp, well executed bust. It certainly made my day.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Max. Herc. Lugdunum, CotD
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:51:49 pm »
Nice coin, Martin! By the way,  the bust, is it cuirassed or cuirassed and draped?

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:59:04 pm »
This is a classic example of the Curassed bust and NOT draped in any way. Any hint of drapery on shouldser etc. is not taken into account.
Regards,
Martin

virtvsprobi

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:42:24 pm »
the bust, is it cuirassed or cuirassed and draped?

As I said in another thread, there has to be a lot of area covered by the paludamentum, for the bust to be considered draped.

There are some busts which display more of the cloak i.e. it is hanging off the shoulders, but if the cuirass is not covered up by it, then the fabric is rarely even remarked upon!

A truly precise description of some more complex busts would be pretty verbose. Something which traditionally did not happen in numismatic literature!

--

Nice Max Herc, Martin!

G/<

All coins are guaranteed for eternity