Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lucilla sestertius. Reference?  (Read 378 times)

John H4

Lucilla sestertius. Reference?
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:02 pm »
Hi all.

I've bought this Lucilla sestertius. It's 33mm and weighs around 30 grams. The obverse should say LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F and the reverse: VESTA (S-C). I can't find the reference for this coin in "Roman coins and their values" by David R. Sear.  (can only find the dupondius coin with the same reverse). Has anyone got a reference for this coin and would you rate the condition of this coin as fine? Thanks in advance.

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Lucilla sestertius. Reference?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:10 pm »
It looks like RIC(Marcus Aurelius) 1779.  Vesta veiled standing left by alter holding simpulum and palladium.

Jeremy

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Re: Lucilla sestertius. Reference?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:07:24 pm »
Hi;
Looks like  RIC 1779, BMC 1178 Lucilla.  Obv.-- dr.bust r., Rev.-- VESTA S C stg. l. holding palladium & sacrificing from a simpulum over an alter.
Ray
Raymond Carson

All coins are guaranteed for eternity