Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Collection Received on Consignment - Many Fakes  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Collection Received on Consignment - Many Fakes
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2023, 02:27:58 pm »
I do not like the Apollonia Pontica, the surface and style do not look convincing and they remind me on the mass production of fakes from one Bulgarian workshop with such a such style and soapy surface.
I have not found a die match for this fake, better pictures would be helpful, if you look on ebay archiv coinvace for Apollonia there will be more fakes than authentic coins.
I have an authentic and fake specimen of this emission and really many fakes of this workshop.
I would reject this coin.

Some fakes of this emission for style 

https://www.coryssa.org/2644790/subcategory_id/6010/page/8/keywords/apollonia/search2/yes/date_to/2023-07-25/use_checkboxes/0/search_title/on/period/all/list_order/date/list_order_dir/desc/period/all/

https://www.coryssa.org/3147289/subcategory_id/6010/page/3/keywords/apollonia/search2/yes/date_to/2023-07-25/use_checkboxes/0/search_title/on/period/all/list_order/date/list_order_dir/desc/period/all/

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2023, 02:34:26 pm »
I do not like the Merovinigian or Anglo Saxon coin.
The style looks very similar to this imho fakes (weight of them is between 0,83-1,39g so it is similar to the weight of yours 0.999g), I doubt that they were "Found Cambridgeshire, UK", I think, that in best case someone made a hole there put the fakes in, did earth on them and then took them out of earth and called it found.
The auction house did not know how to attribute them, which is a bad sign, too.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=MEROVINGIAN&category=1-2&company=128&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0

Are there no invoices of the coins?
If yes on the invoice should be written from whome they are, then we would know if the seller is reliable or not and on the invoice should be written what coin it is (attribution).
To throw aways invoices would not be smart.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2023, 04:24:00 pm »
Ah, I did not know it was Merovinigian or Anglo Saxon coin. But without even knowing that, it seemed something modern. Thanks. Din X. I will skip sending that and the Apollonia Pontica to NGC.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2023, 09:22:08 pm »
I sent the remaining coins that I felt uncertain about to NGC. Most came back certified.

Four were condemned and have been added to the fake coin reports. To see them, click https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/ and scroll down to see the latest reports.
Or, click on them one at a time:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=22570
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=22569
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=22568
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=22567

Three were returned as unable to authenticate because they are too worn.

This one below was returned as ineligible type. Unless someone can provide alternative information (I think unlikely), I will assume it is fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2023, 06:58:25 am »
it seems like something went wrong.
There were 2 Pertinax fakes made by Petar Petrov in this collection.
The problem is that it seems like the pictures were confused because one in fake reports is not from this collection and not from Petar Petrov and ancient (not sure if official issue or an ancient counterfeit).

The description is wrong too, it is Ops  on reverse and not Laetitia and I think that in the past the pciture was right and now it is wrong, very strange.

"reverse LAETITIA TEMPOR COS II (joyous time, consul two times), Laetitia standing slightly left, head left, wreath in right hand, long scepter vertical in left hand"

[FAKE COIN REPORT REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2023, 07:00:16 am »
The fake in the collection was from this dies, see my post on page 1

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2023, 07:05:06 am »
I am curious which coins NGC though were authentic.
Will they be listed to the shop?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2023, 09:47:58 am »
Yes, they will be sold in the shop. They are scheduled for new photos in the slabs.  The Nerva was noted as smoothed and the Vitellius as scratched.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2023, 10:09:50 am »
Ah, I have one more coin that I did not send to them. They do not authenticate cast coins. I strongly suspect it is fake, but I have actually not handled many of these. I hate to reject it without certainty, but unless we have an expert who can tell me otherwise, I must.  137.4g, 47.6mm, 0 die axis.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2023, 12:17:42 pm »
Ah, I have one more coin that I did not send to them. They do not authenticate cast coins. I strongly suspect it is fake, but I have actually not handled many of these. I hate to reject it without certainty, but unless we have an expert who can tell me otherwise, I must.  137.4g, 47.6mm, 0 die axis.

Has it patina or has the patina been stripped?
I think based on pictures stripped or most of patina stripped.
Dirt and encrustrations do not count as patina for me.
The style is strange of the suspected coin, especially the mane of the horse.
Authentication based on patina should be possible, but for this a patina would be required.
I am just curious, I have never had an authentic one in hand (I do not collect these).
I have seen many for sale as fake or sold by fake sellers but not from these dies.
I own one fake as grave with Janus without patina and there the edge shows file marks to remve the seam.

So I am curious if on the authentic ancient republic cast coins (Aes Grave or Triens)  the seam has been removed too, I would speculate no because I see no reson why they should do so but it is only speculation.
If the seam and file marks can be found on many or all modern cast fakes or if mine is an exception, I do not know.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2023, 01:46:39 pm »
It has a thin partial patina, which is missing on the edge. It may There is no seam on the edge, which has been filed.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2023, 07:11:15 am »
We discussed what this is supposed to be, another die match appeared on beay for sale by fake seller, the one on ebay is a cast fake.
The fake seller thinks it is a coin from the Franks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175963896685?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2023, 07:16:40 am »
Another one, cast, but the 2 casts have different centering and that 2 fake sellers have casts from 2 different specimens rather speaks for modern dies.
There are many very suspicious coins with this style for sale lately.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314884497937?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2023, 09:39:32 am »
The only coin from this collection that I still have even the slightest question about is the cast Roman Republic bronze a few posts up. I am 98% confident it is fake, but not 100%.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2023, 09:55:29 am »
I am 98% confident it is fake, but not 100%.

In such case it is hard (or even impossible) to have 100%. 98% is practically enough.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2023, 11:19:58 am »
It is very often impossible to be 100% certain a coin is genuine, but it is more often possible to be 100% certain a coin is false. If it was my coin, I would be happy with 98% confidence, but since it belongs to a consignor, I am still troubled by my uncertainty.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2024, 02:48:20 pm »
I know now what one of these fakes is supposed to be found an authentic one, for fake reposts it might be helpful to have an attribution of this fake

Top picture the fake

below authentic same emission

Authentic

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=12289056

Merovingian Coinage
MEROVINGIAN COINAGE - MARSEILLE (MASSILIA)
Type : Denier
Date : (VIIe-VIIIe siècles)
Date : s.m.
Mint name / Town : Marseille (13)
Metal : silver
Diameter : 12  mm
Orientation dies : 6  h.
Weight : 1,04  g.
Rarity : R3
Obverse description : Monogramme autour des lettres M, A, S ; une croisette de part et d’autre et grènetis
Reverse description : Monogramme autour des lettres A, N, T, O, R et S ; une croisette dans le champ à gauche et un globule à droite ; l’ensemble dans un grènetis
Commentary : Le monogramme du droit, avec les lettres MAS peut nous faire penser à une monnaie de Marseille. Le monogramme du revers est celui d’Antenor. Ce type monétaire ne trouve toutefois pas de place dans le monnayage marseillais bien connu depuis l’étude du trésor de Nice-Cimiez. Il correspond toutefois à une obole publiée dans la RN, p. 292-293, n° 16

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2024, 02:57:21 pm »
Thanks Din X.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS