Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cambodia requests Met statues to be returned  (Read 1743 times)

4to2CentBCphilia

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Cambodia requests Met statues to be returned
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:32:57 am »
The whole Pol Pot episode kind of undermines any such requests from Cambodia.  A country should be in a diplomatic doghouse for at least a century if it has one of the top ten villains of all time.  

Given that it was taken in 1970, they might have somewhat more of a case than the "all your coins are belong to us" argument (making fun of a 1990s catch-phrase), but to give into one is to give into them all.  The polite version of the proper  response is "no way."  Their new home ensured the statues remained safe during the violence of the Pol Pot period.  That's more than can be said of the Buddha statues in Bactria that were wontonly destroyed.  Too bad the Met didn't save those.

At least we can still continually delight in the glorious implosion of the biggest MOU offender, which manages to be far less sympathetic than any of the others combined. Some small pleasures remain, luckily.  I've had some excellent laughs in the past month.

I just realized; I have this edition of the New York Slimes; I'm a weekender.  I'll have to look it up.  Edit; No wonder I can't find it in Friday's edition.  I'll have to wait a couple of hours for Saturday's edition to show up.  Interesting.  It's a front page story according to the website.  It must be a slow news day.

It will be interesting to see if the Met stays strong or caves in.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:49:55 am »
And what happens with, let us say Germany ( or other countries). Should their efforts to recover artifacts be undermined because of the Fuhrer.
I don't think so.
Inspired by my anti-looting wife.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:30:11 am »
Given that it was taken in 1970, they might have somewhat more of a case than the "all your coins are belong to us" argument (making fun of a 1990s catch-phrase), but to give into one is to give into them all.  

I think any historically-significant item taken out of its country of origin post-1970, and now in a museum, is actually fair game for a return request. 1970 was the date of the UNESCO Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer of Ownership of Cultural Property, to which the US signed up. Article 7 says "The States Parties to this Convention undertake: at the request of the State Party of origin, to take appropriate steps to recover and return ... cultural property originating in another State Party which has been illegally exported after entry into force of this Convention". The US specifically added the words "The United States understands Article 7 to apply to institutions whose acquisition policy is subject to national control under existing domestic legislation", which would apply to the Metropolitan in New York.

It is probably in everyone's interest (including coin collectors) to support the return of major post-1970s articles (that would be considered 'cultural property', which is defined as being "specifically designated by each State as being of importance for archaeology, prehistory, history, literature, art or science") and at the same time to use the same convention to draw a line. The fact that something is of museum quality almost, per-se, defines it as being important.

Pre-1970 items, regardless of importance, stay where they are but post 1970 illegal acquisitions to museums are a no-no (legal acquisitions, for example of older provenance, or with permission, is fine).

Unimportant items such as coins, which are not specifically designated as being of importance, stay where they are (in your collection).  

I don't regard this as a slippery slope at all. 1970 is the watershed date so far as museum collections are concerned. This is an agreement that the US and many other countries signed up to. What on earth was the Met doing acquiring pieces in 1987 and 1992, that did not have a clear pre-1970 provenance? It was the incompetence of the Met that discarded one of the main national coin collections of the USA - selling the entire collection to acquire the recently looted Euphronois krater in 1972, which of course had to be returned.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity