Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thasos tet genuine ?  (Read 2266 times)

antony

Thasos tet genuine ?
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:45:22 pm »
Hello people,
here another Thasos tet 16,4 g., AR-33 mm .
What do you think about it please?
Is it a fake or is it genuine?

thanks
Antony

cogito

Re: Thasos tet genuine ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 08:32:57 pm »
Antony,

It looks like a contemporary barbarous issue.  The style is a bit too crude and there's that strange dot in the curl of Dionysus' hair.   

Last month's Celator had a cover article about these non-Thasos Thasos tets.  I would recommend contacting Reid Goldsborough to see what he thinks...I believe barbarous Thasos tets are of particular interest to him.

Regards,
Jeff

antony

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:13:55 pm »
Thanks Jeff,
it looks to my eyes too as a barbarian version (Celtic ?), but I hope a genuine one ....
How can I contact Reid Goldsborough please?

Thanks
Antony

cogito

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:44:27 pm »
Go to the following URL and scroll to the very bottom of the page for Reid's contact link. 

http://rg.ancients.info/guide/ancients.html

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 08:59:57 pm »
Thanks Jeff,
it looks to my eyes too as a barbarian version (Celtic ?), but I hope a genuine one ....
How can I contact Reid Goldsborough please?

Thanks
Antony

Looks good to me, good in the sense of authentic. It's in the right range for weight and diameter, and the style is correct as well for these coins. It's very worn, of course, which though it hurts the coin's aesthetics is another factor that points to it being perfectly authentic. Finally, it's not a cast of any of the common replicas, which forgers often, not always of course, use because they're less expensive to obtain. You'd need to have the coin in hand to know with relative certainty, but I believe from the picture that there's little doubt that it's not perfectly authentic.

I believe these coins are Thracian imitations of Thasos tetradrchms, which I'm calling Thracian tetradrachms. You can find out more than you probably want to know about these coins at this site:

http://rg.ancients.info/thracetets
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

cogito

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 12:08:10 am »
Thanks for chiming in, Reid.  I figured that you would be the "go to" guy on this one, especially after having read last month's Celator cover article and your earlier Celator contribution on the subject of Thracian tetradrachms.

Jeff

All coins are guaranteed for eternity