Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare large Ptolemaic bronze, with the retrograde ΣΕ monogram.  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
Something to share as a decent example of a rare type..

PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy IV Philopator. 221-204 BC. Æ Drachm, 42mm, 67.70 g. Alexandria mint.
Obv. Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing tainia.
Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠTOΛEMAIOY. Eagle standing left, wings closed, standing on thunderbolt, filleted cornucopia to left, retrograde ΣE monogram between legs.
Ref. Svoronos 992; Köln 60; SNG Copenhagen 205.
Ex. Dr. R. N. Draskowski Collection. Ex. CNG.

It's a  sub-type of large Ptolemaic bronze, that Svoronos groups with the other heavy ΣΕ varieties of 992 'drachm'. The FORVUM discussion thread from 2011 and linked to below contains an interesting look at Svoronos 992 in general, as one of the last of the heaviest denominations, with PtolemAE being as informative as ever. Passing mention to the existence of this variety is also made.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=72552.msg455434#msg455434

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Rare large Ptolemaic bronze, with the retrograde ΣΕ monogram.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:12 am »
Something to share as a decent example of a rare type..

PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy IV Philopator. 221-204 BC. Æ Drachm, 42mm, 67.70 g. Alexandria mint.
Obv. Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing tainia.
Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠTOΛEMAIOY. Eagle standing left, wings closed, standing on thunderbolt, filleted cornucopia to left, retrograde ΣE monogram between legs.
Ref. Svoronos 992; Köln 60; SNG Copenhagen 205.
Ex. Dr. R. N. Draskowski Collection. Ex. CNG.

It's a  sub-type of large Ptolemaic bronze, that Svoronos groups with the other heavy ΣΕ varieties of 992 'drachm'. The FORVUM discussion thread from 2011 and linked to below contains an interesting look at Svoronos 992 in general, as one of the last of the heaviest denominations, with PtolemAE being as informative as ever. Passing mention to the existence of this variety is also made.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=72552.msg455434#msg455434

It's possible this one you've shown has a retrograde 'SE' monogram but it's somewhat ambiguous.  There's a clear photo of one with an obviously retrograde SE in Weiser's book (Koln 62 - Koln 60 as cited above is a Sv 992 with a simple SIGMA control symbol).  Another, shown in the photos accompanying this reply post, is also an Sv 992, with unambiguously retrograde SE, and a different die than Koln 62.  That would seem unusual; the 'bungled' (retrograde) monogram appearing on multiple dies.  If the one you've shown is also then it would be a third SV992 reverse 'retrograde SE' die.  See photos below.  Definitely an interesting phenomenon as retrograde inscriptions and monograms are quite rare on Ptolemaic bronzes.

PtolemAE

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »
Thanks for taking a look, PtolemAE.

The ambiguity of the monogram on my one had caught my notice too. I had erred towards the attribution given to it by prior owners and CNG for a couple of reasons, but appreciate the doubt. Many of the monograms seen on Ptolemy AEs do seem to appear in slightly garbled varieties, besides their clear renditions, but are still assumed to be of their type, so I wondered if what appears on my one here was no more than that. The retrograde Σ does seem to me to be very clear; what is definitely a little odd is the form of what I had assumed was intended to be the retrograde E next to it.

Would you mind if I asked a couple of other questions, PtolemAE, besides inviting your views on any of the above?

Firstly, am I correct in thinking that mints for AE and precious metal coinage, though separate entities, often operated alongside each other and so it might be assumed that they shared many traditions regarding their work, despite differences in the metals used? The use of monograms on the silver Ptolemaic coinage seem to show a keen use of sequences of types of monogram and symbol, with cumulative and intentional variation arising from position of elements, their arrangement and symmetry. My second question arises from this observation and your use of the word 'bungled' to describe these retrograde types. For all the time I've been aware of these types I had assumed the 'retrograde ness' had been entirely intentional. For this reason it hadn't surprised me to see that one from another die existed. Is it common wisdom that they were actually bungled versions of the 'normal' ΣΕ monograms?

Kind regards,
Derek.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:19:02 am »
Thanks for taking a look, PtolemAE.

The ambiguity of the monogram on my one had caught my notice too. I had erred towards the attribution given to it by prior owners and CNG for a couple of reasons, but appreciate the doubt. Many of the monograms seen on Ptolemy AEs do seem to appear in slightly garbled varieties, besides their clear renditions, but are still assumed to be of their type, so I wondered if what appears on my one here was no more than that. The retrograde Σ does seem to me to be very clear; what is definitely a little odd is the form of what I had assumed was intended to be the retrograde E next to it.

Would you mind if I asked a couple of other questions, PtolemAE, besides inviting your views on any of the above?

Firstly, am I correct in thinking that mints for AE and precious metal coinage, though separate entities, often operated alongside each other and so it might be assumed that they shared many traditions regarding their work, despite differences in the metals used? The use of monograms on the silver Ptolemaic coinage seem to show a keen use of sequences of types of monogram and symbol, with cumulative and intentional variation arising from position of elements, their arrangement and symmetry. My second question arises from this observation and your use of the word 'bungled' to describe these retrograde types. For all the time I've been aware of these types I had assumed the 'retrograde ness' had been entirely intentional. For this reason it hadn't surprised me to see that one from another die existed. Is it common wisdom that they were actually bungled versions of the 'normal' ΣΕ monograms?

Kind regards,
Derek.

Yes, indeed the DELTA IOTA and LAMDA IOTA monograms are often so close as to be indistinguishable and sometimes one is referred to as a 'bungled' version of the other.  They are quite clearly distinct however on certain examples, enough so to be pretty certain they are not just mixed up versions of the same thing.  The plain 'SIGMA' control on some Sv 992 and 993 are also seen in a variety of forms, from very clear and distinct to almost hard to tell at all.  What we SELDOM see, however is a truly confident example of a retrograde control of any kind.  These SIGMA EPSILON ones are not the only ones known but they may be the only type illustrated in a proper reference book (Weiser, Koln).

Yes, it is the 'E' on the example illustrated at the start of this may be confused enough to raise questions though the SIGMA might be retrograde next to it or it might be just poorly executed.  This particular example could be a 'real' retrograde specimen, or it might not.

It's hard to say much that's convincing about why the SE is seen retrograde on a few dies.  The issue was *huge*.

As far as the other questions, perhaps better addressed to folks more knowledgable about Ptolemaic silver.  That said, there are many silver and bronze coin types with closely related (sometimes identical) control symbols and monograms and one might easily conclude they are contemporary or related (from the same workshops or issuing magistrate, etc.).  At some point in the 3rd C. BC, however, there is very good evidence that silver stopped playing a major monetary role inside Egypt itself and bronze did most of the work of being 'everyday money'.  The same does not appear to be true of contemporary coinage areas like Phoenician territories - in some of those areas it seems little bronze was issued as today some of those bronzes are very rare while Alexandrian ones are extremely common.  The astonishingly massive issue of Series 4 bronzes at Alexandria appears to have no contemporary parallel in Phoenician mints at all, while bronzes of Series 3 and 5 likely were apparently made quite (of almost identical designs and to identical weight standards) at Alexandria, Sidon, Ake, and Tyre.

PtolemAE

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:42 pm »
As ever, I appreciate it that you share your knowledge and experience, with myself here as on other people's threads, PtolemAE. Who knows, perhaps over the next few years one or two more of these retrograde types might turn up. If their monograms were consistently clear, as with those you post here, then it would cast further doubt on the intentions that muddled the monogram on mine, particularly if no other new reverse dies were revealed by them. However, if new examples from as yet unknown reverse dies suggested a clearer retrograde ΣΕ, but bore similarities to my bungled type, it might increase my confidence that mine belonged to this retrograde group.

Or I may be perpetually uncertain of this one.

Thanks again PtolemAE.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity