Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unknown byzantine coins  (Read 223 times)

athan9

unknown byzantine coins
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:26 am »
can you help me identify these 2 coins?
i searched the net and some books but didn't find them.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: unknown byzantine coins
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:29 am »
I believe these are modern jewelry pieces.  Not long ago someone posted a somewhat similar coin and a knowledgeable colleague posted that these are frequently used as baptismal gifts.  The styles do not look like authentic Byzantine gold pieces.

athan9

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:26 am »
well .. they are not gold
the first one is silver and the second one has a thin layer of silver on top (which as you can see is falling off)and under it i don't know the material..it's grey to green color ..anyway not all byzantine coins are gold!
i dont think they are new
i showed them to a friend who is making jewelry and told me the teqnique they are made is really old.
anyway thanks for replying

athan9

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »
djmacdo i think i found the one you said.
it's the silver coloured fake of an Alexius III gold hyperpyron send for identification from a russian user.
yes they are very similar
have some differencies but the first one looks a lot like the fake.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity