Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin of the Day - Herod Agrippa I  (Read 67 times)

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
Coin of the Day - Herod Agrippa I
« on: March 16, 2024, 05:57:13 pm »
Not a new purchase, but I just finished taking proper photos of this coin and creating the composition. These coins are not rare or expensive, but I find this one above slightly above the average in terms of production quality.

In gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186345

HEROD AGRIPPA I, AD 41-44
AE Prutah (17.95mm, 2.43g, 1h)
Struck AD 41/2. Jerusalem mint
Obverse: ΒΑϹΙΛΕΩϹ ΑΓΡΙΠΑ around canopy
Reverse: L Ϛ, three heads of barley between two leaves
References: RPC I 4981, Hendin 6274
Dark bronze patina highlighted with earthen deposits. A decent specimen for the type.

Thanks for looking!

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Coin of the Day - Herod Agrippa I
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 11:54:21 pm »
A pleasing coin of a popular type

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:11:54 pm »

A very nice coin CPK, and your photography is excellent, providing a really good impression of what the coin must be like. The obverse image of a canopy and reverse barley heads give the coin an elegantly simple and effective design.  When I first started collecting ancient coins, I noticed that clear, well thought out designs that suggested a peaceful life were a consistent feature of ancient Jewish coinage. Even during the dire days of the Bar Kochba revolt they featured palms, bunches of grapes, jugs and lyres. 

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 08:15:32 am »
Thanks! I find these small Judaean bronzes especially difficult to photograph, so I'm happy with how this one turned out. I have a number of other Jewish types that I will hopefully be uploading in the not-too-distant future.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity