Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NEAPOLIS: Scary beauty  (Read 2156 times)

Optimus

NEAPOLIS: Scary beauty
« on: September 15, 2005, 09:04:58 am »
Enjoy!
Any comments welcome  ;)

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: NEAPOLIS: Scary beauty
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:36:28 pm »
Looks modern to me.

Barry Murphy

Optimus

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 04:58:13 pm »
Looks, but it's not. Edges are perfectly OK and I've seen the coin before it was cleaned.

cogito

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 11:18:46 pm »
I'm with Barry on this one.  The edges may look o.k., but it's the fields and high-relief on the obverse that set off my suspicious streak.  The series has been faked for centuries and for good reason...it's a beautiful coin in its own special way.

Do you have weight, specific gravity, diameter measurements, etc.??

Jeff

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 01:31:10 pm »
Can you supply a picture taken at an angle?  This piece looks "rough," like I'd expect an obol to look, not a stater.

Offline arethusa

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 05:47:38 pm »
Well, the coins looks very, I mean very suspicious - I will tell fake on 99%

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 01:12:22 am »
The coin presumably is made of metal, of silver.  Your photograph seems to be made of plaster or of pastry.  Could you just give us a picture of it that looks like a coin, so we can see (at least virtually: see the reflections off it at least) the metal?  Frankly, it is a perfectly correct and well assembled Archaic gorgoneion, but if its fabric is unsatisfactory it could have problems, especially if it were line for line like a published one.  These 6c gorgoneia are generically identical but individually unique.  Diameter and weight also, de rigueur.  Pat L.

Optimus

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:40:25 am »
Hi there,

Coin is made of silver, of course. The reason it looks so is that I took the picture in the open with my camera under very bright sunlight. Also, the coin has been cleaned from some sediments which explains the surfaces. Before the cleaning the back of the coin was covered with a considerable plaster of "horn" silver on the reverse. I saw it at that state which makes me really think that it is original.
I do not have the coin at hand and cannot give ither pictures. In any case, the edge shows the typical microscopic irregularities and has aged well. Simply the strike on the obverse is very high and this creates the impression of something "artificial".
Of course, I do appreciate these discussions. In the same time, it just comes to show to what extent fakes have entered our trade so we always think of this possibility first...

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 06:13:44 am »
That explains something; I was wondering why both coins you showed us had the same unnatural apprearance. I notice nobody has questioned the other one. I wouldn't have bought either on eBay, but it could well be the lighting.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

cogito

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 03:30:05 pm »
I'm understanding you correctly...unnatural color and unusual high-relief are a byproduct of heavy cleaning and tooling to remove layers of horn silver?  If so, then I can buy it being authentic, but then one is presented with the difficulty of one day selling a coin that is suspect secondary to over-cleaning and tooling.  This would be one of those instances where "before cleaning" pictures are going to be necessary to ward of future choruses of suspicion, like those intimated here.  I hope you had the foresight to snap a few photos before the cleaning process.

Regards,
Jeff

Optimus

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 05:33:20 pm »
Jeff,

Coin is not mine and I am not selling it. I do not have pictures before the cleaning. I think you should distinguish between overcleaning and necessary removal of unwanted deposits. I also prefer "virgin" coins but, hey, life is not perfect and such staters do not emerge only in pristine state. Of course, the history of the coin will be reflected in its price...

cogito

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 06:43:17 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be hostile or anything.  I was just trying to understand how the cleaning process resulted in such sharp features.  Also, I have a few horn silver "infected" coins and it is instructive to see how removing these deposits results in strange silver tone.

Regards,
Jeff

All coins are guaranteed for eternity